While most motorsports fans likely know that racing movies "Stroker Ace," and "Smokey and the Bandit 2" were filmed at the Speedway, many other non-racing movies have joined that list within the past few years.
Fans of Atlanta Motor Speedway watching the upcoming movie, "Anchorman 2" will see a familiar site in the background during the film - Atlanta Motor Speedway! Also, a scene from "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" was filmed in the parking lot at the Speedway last year.
View the "Anchorman 2" trailer here!
But these two movies are but a small amount of the Speedway's contribution to the big screen and television.
AMS has become a popular venue within the past few years to either film movies or to be utilized when filming in surrounding areas. Among these films are:
- "Need For Speed," which is set for release in Spring of 2014, was filmed near the track on Georgia Highway 20 with the Weaver Parking lot used to stage production efforts. A jump was also staged near the First Turn Campground.
- "Zombieland," released in 2009, was filmed at AMS and the theatrical trailer shows one of the camping shower houses in one of the scenes.
- The made-for-TV movie released earlier this year, "The Life & Times of Anna Nicole Smith," was filmed utilizing the exterior of the Speedway's ticket office, depicting it as an airport terminal. The Speedway's victory lane was also utilized.
- "Identity Thief" and "Flight" were filmed nearby, using the Weaver parking lot for staging of production equipment.
- USA Network filmed a 2011 episode of "Necessary Roughness" at AMS.
- And fans of AMC's "The Walking Dead" may have recognized Atlanta Motor Speedway during season 2 of the series with the stretch of Highway 20 near AMS being utilized for filming.
So keep an eye out next time you are watching a movie. You just might see Atlanta Motor Speedway!