The night started off with the Atlanta Dental Team Bandits feature race. After several caution periods the race finally got underway. A winner was declared, however the winning driver's motor was protested, so results cannot be released until the protest is resolved.
Next up was the Semi-Pro race. On the first lap, Chris Buescher (Prospect, Texas) took the lead, however, a hard-charging Kyle Fowler (Smyrna) made his way through the field and with two laps to go, took over the lead to score his first win in the Semi-Pro division. Fowler finished second in the Bandits division last year but is looking to make his mark this season in the Semi-Pro series.
Ryan Gandee (McDonough) schooled all of the other competitors in the Mid-Georgia Tractor Young Guns feature. Gandee took the lead at the start and never relinquished it, scoring his second career win in the division in only is second season.
Dwight Pilgrim (McDonough) led the field to the green flag for the Tanger Center Outlet Masters feature, but on lap two, Brian Weimer (Cumming) stole the lead from Pilgrim and the two put on a show for the fans, with Weimer capturing the win.
The Outlaws feature brought the fans to their feet. Sean Cassidy (Martinez) took over the lead on lap three and Daniel Moore (Griffin) kept right on his tail. Moore tried lap after lap to pass Cassidy and on the last lap in turn four, his perseverance paid off, with Moore gaining the advantage he needed to coming to the line for the win. It was Moore's first start and first win in the Outlaws series, as he won the championship in the Mid-Georgia Tractor Young Guns division last year.
In her third year of competition in the Rhino Games Chargers division, Mary Wilson (Norcorss) scored her first win tonight. Wilson ran a smart race and with 12 laps to go, she took the lead and never surrendered it.
The Pro feature was a slugfest between two former Pro champions. Four-time Thursday Thunder Pro champion, Doug Stevens (Lovejoy) drove in deep for the lead on lap two. Last year's Pro champion, Chris Dilbeck (Hampton) was right on his heels, working on Stevens every lap. With two laps to go, they were side-by-side, but Dilbeck was unable to make the pass, and Stevens scoring his 26th career Thursday Thunder Pro win.
Brian Weimer (Cumming) showed his dominance for the second time during the evening, by winning the Roadsters feature, which closed the show. This was Weimer's first start and first win the Roadsters division.
Atlanta Motor Speedway's Thursday Thunder will return next week for the second of ten weeks of Legends, Bandolero and Roadster racing. Please note, due to the rainout last week, Thursday Thunder has been extended to August 11. Next week, don't miss Rhubarb's March Across Georgia night sponsored by Papa John's Pizza and presented by Eagle 106.7FM. Help Rhubarb raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Pete Horne at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com. For more information about Thursday Thunder, call (770) 946-4211.
WEEK 1 RESULTS:
ATLANTA DENTAL TEAM BANDITS
Results to be released at later date as race was protested
1. Kyle Fowler (Smyrna) 2. Chris Buescher (Prospect, Texas) 3. Chris Keir (Hampton) 4. Taylor Hull (Winston) 5. Mahlon Winstead (Williamson) 6. Myron Guyton (McDonough) 7. Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville) 8. T.J. Reaid (Acworth) 9. Keith Breabois (Cumming) 10. Adam Akridge (Lilburn) 11. Adam Thomas (Albany) 12. Spenser Mosley (McDonough) 13. Lavon Kitchens (Macon) 14. Tina Johnson (Senoia) 15. Brad Shelnutt (Stockbridge) 16. Josh McCallum (Lizella) 17. T.J. Halsema (Roswell) 18. Jay Cloud (Griffin)
MID-GEORGIA TRACTOR YOUNG GUNS
1. Ryan Gandee (McDonough) 2. J.R. Allen (Duluth) 3. Kyle McCallum (Lizella) 4. Stuart Wilkerson (Midland) 5. Tyler Armstrong (Alpharetta) 6. T.J. Shelnutt (Loganville) 7. Kristen Massey (Winston) 8. Jeremy Gordon (Midland) 9. Currie Pierce (Griffin) 10. Tyler Ridley (Ball Ground) 11. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs) 12. Kyle Lowery (Covington)
TANGER OUTLET CENTER MASTERS
1. Brian Weimer (Cumming) 2. Dwight Pilgrim (McDonough) 3. Bruce Mundy (Covington) 4. Billy Hendrix (Griffin) 5. Charles Turner (Sandersville) 6. Robert Spence (Acworth) 7. Wade Brewer (Hampton) 8. Mark Wallace (Griffin) 9. Walt Cushman (Stockbridge) 10. Jim Gresham (Hampton) 11. Skip Nichols (Albany) 12. Ed Clark (Peachtree City) 13. Randy Thornton (Oxford) 14. David Wilkerson (Midland) 15. Guy Austin (Covington) 16. Sam McCollough (Atlanta) 17. Bill Henry (Kennesaw)
1. Daniel Moore (Griffin) 2. Sean Cassidy (Martinez) 3. Trey Maughan (Knoxville, Tenn.) 4. Jody Pilkenton (Griffin) 5. Mike Conrad (Cumming) 6. No. 85 car
RHINO VIDEO GAMES CHARGERS
1. Mary Wilson (Norcross) 2. Billy Fulson (Brooks) 3. James Auld (England) 4. Eric Cushman (Stockbridge) 5. Matt Tankersley (Kennesaw) 6. Josh Fulson (Brooks) 7. Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville) - ghost driver for John Wes Townley (Watkinsville) 8. Phillip Bell (Senoia) 9. No. 2 car 10. Jason Guske (Smyrna) 11. J.R. Allen (Duluth) 12. Carl Guidry (Jonesboro) 13. R.S. Senter (Oakwood) 14. No. 85 car 15. Ryan James (Atlanta)
1. Doug Stevens (Lovejoy) 2. Chris Dilbeck (Hampton) 3. Jeremy Kahina (Griffin) 4. Travis Pennington (Winston) 5. Casey Tate (Locust Grove) 6. Bubba Harry (Griffin) 7. Jeff Haynie 8. Adam Gay (Dublin) 9. L.J. Cover (Douglasville) 10. Brent Seeley (Dallas, TX) 11. Derek Frohlich (Lake Havasu, Fla.) 12. Chris Cable (Griffin) 13. Marty Massey (Winston) 14. Brian Meredith (Locust Grove) 15. Ted Studley (Niceville, Fla.)
1. Brian Weimer (Cumming) 2. Jim Gresham (Stockbridge) 3. Robert Witte (Alpharetta) 4. Ed Clark (Peachtree City) 5. Paige Monette (Alpharetta)