THURSDAY THUNDER RESULTS: WEEK 7
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Seven weeks ago, during week four of Atlanta Motor Speedway's Thursday Thunder, the features were chocked full of cautions, causing the evening to run slow. To speed things up, director of events, Brandon Hutchison, challenged the competitors to run a caution free feature. He told the drivers, "I’ve got a hundred grand for each one of you at the end of the season if you can run this race caution free." The only class to do so was the Outlaws.
Hutchison made good on his promise tonight in the driver’s meeting, during the final week of Thursday Thunder. He presented each of the four Outlaws competitors with a 100 Grand candy bar. The drivers were all good sports and laughed at the joke, only to eat away their fortune before running their feature.
First in the evening lineup was the Roadsters feature. AMS president, Ed Clark (Peachtree City), started the feature from the pole position. On lap two, Clark and Dale Akridge (Lilburn) made contact and brought out the caution. On the restart, Paige Monette (Alpharetta) was up front and held off all the guys until lap 18, when Jim Gresham (Stockbridge) passed her for the lead and captured his third victory of the season and his second Roadsters championship title.
Next up was the Mid-Georgia Tractor Young Guns feature with Tyler Ridley (Ball Ground) on the point. On lap two, Ryan Gandee (McDonough) took over the lead. J.R. Allen (Duluth) worked Gandee over lap after lap, but was unable to pass him for the lead. Gandee went undefeated this season, winning all seven features this year and claimed his first Young Guns championship title.
Max Gresham (Griffin) led the field to the green flag for the Atlanta Dental Team Bandolero Bandits feature. In the first turn, Austin Hill (Winston) took over the lead. Justin Swilling (Cohutta) battled with Hill for the lead, and was on his bumper until he spun out on lap 10. After the caution, Hill had Gresham behind him to contend with. Gresham kept trying the high groove, but could not pass Hill, who posted his first Thursday Thunder win this season, while Gresham claimed the Bandits championship title.
Points leader, Daniel Moore, started on the pole for the Outlaws feature. He blew away the field, winning his fifth feature this season and his first Outlaws championship title.
Billy Fulson (Brooks) was the pole sitter for the Rhino Video Games Chargers feature. A multi-car crash occurred on lap one in turn two involving James Auld (Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, Great Britain) and Mary Wilson (Norcross), who were tied for the points lead. Fulson went on to win the race and Wilson walked away from this Thursday Thunder season with the points lead.
For the Semi-Pro feature, Kyle Fowler (Smyrna) was the pole sitter, with points leader, Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville) on the outside pole. Fowler jumped ahead of the field spacing a big gap between he and Roderick. Fowler went on to win his fourth feature this Thursday Thunder season, but Roderick finished second, which secured him his first Semi-Pro championship title.
The Tanger Outlet Center Masters feature had a three-man battle for the top spot with Mark Wallace (Griffin), Dwight Pilgrim (McDonough) and Brian Weimer (Cumming) racing nose to tail. The trio leaned on each other lap after lap with Weimer the victor in the battle to claim his fourth feature win of the summer. Pilgrim won the championship battle by one point over Weimer.
The final clash of the night was the Pro feature with Bubba Harry (Griffin) on the point. Chris Dilbeck (Hampton) took over the lead on lap six and held on to it until two laps to go, when Beau Slocumb (Juliette) passed him. However, Doug Stevens passed both of them in the final turn to score his second win of the Thursday Thunder season and championship title.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Pete Horne at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
WEEK 7 RESULTS:
1. Jim Gresham (Stockbridge), 2. Paige Monette (Alpharetta), 3. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 4. Dale Akridge (Lilburn), 5. Ronnie Kittle (Watkinsville).
MID-GEORGIA TRACTOR YOUNG GUNS
1. Ryan Gandee (McDonough), 2. J.R. Allen (Duluth), 3. Zachary Kittle (Watkinsville), 4. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), 5. T.J. Shelnutt (Loganville), 6. Neal Gandee (McDonough), 7. Tyler Armstrong (Alpharetta), 8. Tyler Ridley (Ball Ground), 9. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 10. Kyle Lowery (Covington), 11. Michael Cummings (Alpharetta).
ATLANTA DENTAL TEAM BANDITS
1. Austin Hill (Winston), 2. Max Gresham (Hampton), 3. Justin Swilling (Cohutta), 4. Chris Siebert (Hampton), 5. Andre Prescott (La Quinta, Calif.), 6. Dusty Cunningham (Newton), 7. Judson Kittle (Watkinsville), 8. Peyton Durflinger (McDonough), 9. Critter Witte (Alpharetta), 10. Evan Swilling (Cohutta), 11. Chris Achenbach (Douglasville), 12. Matt Dooley (Brooks), 13. Charlie Gresham (Milner), 14. Trey Ridley (Ball Ground), 15. Brett Edmonson (Concord).
1. Daniel Moore (Griffin), 2. Trey Maughan (Knoxville, Tenn.), 3. Sean Cassidy (Alpharetta), 4. Jody Pilkenton (Griffin).
RHINO VIDEO GAMES CHARGERS
1. Billy Fulson (Brooks), 2. Aron Brook (Newnan), 3. Max Gresham (Griffin), 4. Mary Wilson (Norcross), 5. R. S. Senter (Oakwood), 6. Issac Strickland (Newnan), 7. James Auld (Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, Great Britain), 8. Carl Guidry (Jonesboro), 9. J.R. Allen (Duluth), 10. Eric Cushman (Stockbridge), 11. Johnny Rucker (McDonough), 12. Joshua Fulson (Brooks), 13. Phillip Bell (Senoia), 14. Matt Tankersley (Kennesaw).
1. Kyle Fowler (Smyrna), 2. Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville), 3. Brennan Poole (Woodlands, TX), 4. Mahlon Winstead (Williamson), 5. Taylor Hull (Winston), 6. Myron Guyton (McDonough), 7. Chris Keir (Hampton), 8. Brad Shelnutt (Stockbridge), 9. Lavon Kitchens (Macon), 10. Keith Breabois (Cumming), 11. Jay Cloud (Griffin), 12. T.J. Halsema (Roswell), 13. Adam Akridge (Lilburn).
TANGER OUTLET CENTER MASTERS
1. Brian Weimer (Cumming), 2. Dwight Pilgrim (McDonough), 3. Bruce Mundy (Covington), 4. Billy Hendrix (Griffin), 5. Wade Brewer (Hampton), 6. Jim Gresham (Stockbridge), 7. Randy Thornton (Oxford), 8. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 9. Bill Henry (Kennesaw), 10. Danny Snell (Sandersville), 11. Mark Wallace (Griffin), 12. Walt Cushman (Stockbridge), 13. Michael Cummings (Alpharetta).
1. Doug Stevens (Lovejoy), 2. Beau Slocumb (Juliette), 3. Jeremy Kalina (Griffin), 4. Chris Dilbeck (Hampton), 5. Chris Cable (Griffin), 6. Casey Tate (Locust Grove), 7. L.J. Cover (Douglasville), 8. Travis Pennington (Douglasville), 9. Bubba Harry (Griffin).