With the longest season of any professional sport and venues stretching from Atlanta to California, members of the NASCAR community look forward to getting back to their hometown every chance they get.
Four drivers and three owners currently competing in NASCAR's elite divisions have strong Atlanta ties.
Below is a list of current NASCAR drivers and owners with Georgia ties.
· Reed Sorenson -- Driver -- Peachtree City, Ga. NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series and NASCAR Busch Series, No. 41 Target Dodge and No. 41 Discount Tire Dodge
· David Ragan -- Driver -- Unadilla, Ga. NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, No. 6 Scotts Ford
· Mike Garvey -- Driver -- McDonough, Ga. NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, No. 51 Marathon Chevrolet
· Bill Lester -- Driver -- Mableton, Ga. NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, No. 22 Waste Management Toyota
· John Carter -- Owner --Toccoa, Ga. NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, No. 37 R&J Racing Dodge
· Brad Akins -- Owner -- Winder, Ga. NASCAR Busch Series, No. 38 Great Clips Dodge
· Billy Ballew -- Owner -- Blairsville, Ga. NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, No. 15 Chevrolet
For drivers and owners coming to Atlanta to races means more than a home field advantage. It means being able to spend precious time with friends he doesn't get too see often running a full NEXTEL Cup and Busch Series schedule.
"I love racing at Atlanta," Sorenson said. "It is a fun track to run because it has multiple grooves that make it easier to pass on and it's just really fast. It is also cool to get to have some of my buddies come and hang out with me."
Some of the biggest names in racing also call Atlanta home. Below is a list of NASCAR Series and team sponsors that are based out of Atlanta.
· Georgia Pacific -- Associate Sponsor -- No. 24 Dupont Chevrolet -- NASCAR NEXTEL Cup
· Aarons Sales and Lease Ownership -- Primary Sponsor -- No. 99 Aarons Chevrolet -- NASCAR Busch Series
· The Home Depot - Primary Sponsor -- No. 20 Home Depot Chevrolet -- NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series
· UPS -- Primary Sponsor -- No. 88 UPS Ford -- NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series
· NAPA -- Primary Sponsor -- No. 55 NAPA Dodge -- NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series
· Cingular Wireless -- Primary Sponsor -- No. 31 Cingular Chevrolet -- NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series
· The world's leading manufacturer of non-alcoholic beverages and major NASCAR sponsor Coca-Cola use Atlanta as their world-wide corporate headquarters.
A limited number of seats are still available for what the Golden Corral 500 weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Tickets are available by calling 877-9-AMS-TIX (877-926-7849), 770-946-4211, by calling Ticketmaster at 404-249-6400, or by visiting www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.