The ninth week of Atlanta Motor Speedway's Thursday Thunder featured intense competition for both drivers and fans. It was "double points night" and the drivers muscled each other for every spot because they earned double the points they normally would for their finish. Those extra points can greatly affect the season ending points championship.
The fans, specifically the kids, also battled on Thursday night, but not for points; for coins and candy. The intermission activity featured the always favorite kids' coin and candy scramble where kids raced each other to see who could gather the most candy and coins. For the Halloween theme, Hampton residents Allison Parker and Angelina Green (age 3) co-won the best costume of the night dressing up as a Raggedy Ann and a bumble bee respectively.
Evan Swilling paced the field to the green for the Atlanta Dental Team Bandits feature. On a green, white, checked flag restart, Scott Hensley got by Swilling and scored the win.
Back Yard Burgers Semi-Pro feature got underway with Justin Swilling as the pole sitter. There was a shuffle for the lead in the early laps with Billy Fulson coming out on top. In the final laps, Fulson held off points leader Taylor Hull who was on his bumper to claim his first win of the season.
Robert Spence brought the field to the green flag for the Tanger Outlet Centers Masters feature. Spence won the race last week and took the checkered flag this week posting back to back wins.
The McDonough Hospitality and Tourism Chargers feature began with Stuart Wilkerson as the leader. Jeremy Mullinax got by Wilkerson for the lead on lap six. With two laps to go, Mike Conrad muscled his way into first, but Mullinax fought back to collect the victory.
Travis Pennington led the field to the start for Pro feature. On lap two, Kyle Fowler passed for the lead. He led the remainder of the race to earn his second win of the season and assumed the points lead.
John Deere Roadsters feature started with Jeremy Kalina substitute driving for Jim Gresham on the pole. Kalina checked out, putting a huge gap between himself and the second-place car. He led the remainder of the race to post the win for Gresham.
Jordan Coker took the green flag first for the Zaxby's Young Guns feature. Currie Pierce moved out front on lap eight. On lap 11, Coker turned Pierce around, bringing out the caution and forcing both cars to the rear of the field. Austin Hill inherited the top spot and drove away from the field. Hill logged his second win of the season.
James Caldwell was the pole sitter for the John Deere Outlaws feature. On the start of the race, the entire field passed Caldwell in turn one and there was a three-wide drag race to lead the first lap. Trey Maughan showed his strength to become the race leader.
Atlanta Motor Speedway's Thursday Thunder will return on August 3 for the final night of Legends, Bandolero and Thunder Roadster racing. Next week is Papa John's Pizza Fan Appreciation Night. WSB-AM radio personality Captain Herb Emory will compete in a match race with racing fan, Governor Sonny Perdue during the intermission. Also, AMS will recognize all public safety personnel (police officers, firemen etc.) displaying proper identification by admitting them free of charge to Thursday Thunder.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Pete Horne at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
Atlanta Dental Team Bandits:
1. Scott Hensley (Olive Branch, MS), 2. Maxx Bennett (Zephyrills, Fla.), 3. Kyle Plott (Marietta), 4. Kyle Benjamin (Simpsonville, S.C.), 5. Dylan Ames (Harvest, Ala.), 6. J.D. Farlow (Grantville), 7. Tyler Pennington (Winston), 8. Critter Saile (Castleberry, Fla.), 9. Joseph Pilato (Cropwell, Ala.), 10. Chris Achenbach (Douglasville), 11. Dillon Bassett (Winston-Salem, N.C.), 12. Judson Kittle (Watkinsville), 13. Matt Dooley (Brooks), 14. Ronnie Bassett (Winston-Salem, N.C.), 15. Evan Swilling (Cohutta), 16. Jordan Rogers (Thomaston), 17. Blake Leuth (Tuscon, AZ), 18. Peyton Durflinger (McDonough), 19. Mason Massey (Winston), 20. Meghan Dillner (Concord, N.C.), 21. Nicholas Stroupe (Iron Station, N.C.).
Back Yard Burgers Semi-Pro:
1. Billy Fulson (Brooks), 2. Taylor Hull (Winston), 3. Logan Boyette (Pensacola, Fla.), 4. Paddy Rodenbeck (Odessa, Fla.), 5. J.R. Allen driving for Max Gresham (Milner), 6. Kyle Lowrey (Covington), 7. T.J. Halsema (Roswell), 8. Jay Cloud (Griffin), 9. Daniel Moore (Griffin), 10. Tyler Chrisinger (Littleton, CO), 11. Austin Dillon (Lewisville, N.C.), 12. Levon Kitchens (Macon), 13. Zach Stroupe (Iron Station, N.C.), 14. Trey Ridley (Ball Ground), 15. Brad Shelnutt (Stockbridge), 16. Chase Moody (Watkinsville), 17. Eric Cushman (Stockbridge), 18. Daniel Hemric (Kannapolis, N.C.), 19. Justin Swilling (Cohutta), 20. Ryan Gandee (McDonough).
Tanger Outlet Center Masters:
1. Robert Spence (Atlanta), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 3. . Johnny Rucker (McDonough), 4. Wade Brewer (Hampton), 5. Randy Thornton (Oxford), 6. Skip Nichols (Albany), 7. Jimmy Wade (Griffin), 8. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 9. David Wilkerson (Columbus), 10. Brian Weimer (Cumming.), 11. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 12. Dwight Pilgram (McDonough), 13. Clay Hair (Mt. Pleasant, N.C.), ATQ - Keith Breasbois (Gainesville).
McDonough Hospitality and Tourism Chargers:
1. Jeremy Mullinax (Jasper), 2. Mike Conrad (Cumming), 3. Tyler Ridley (Ballground), 4. Ty Dillon (Winston-Salem), 5. Chris Siebert (Hampton), 6. Amanda Harbin (Brooks), 7. Steve Fessler (Tyrone), 8. Melissa Wade (Griffin), 9. Leslie Cash (Brooks), 10. Stuart Wilkerson (Columbus), 11. Jason Turner (Griffin).
1. Kyle Fowler (Smyrna), 2. Beau Slocumb (Juliette), 3. Chris Cable (Griffin), 4. Travis Pennington (Douglasville), 5. Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville), 6. Casey Tate (Locust Grove), 7. Brian Meredith (Locust Grove), 8. Ted Studley (Niceville, Fla.), 9. Jeremy Kalina (Griffin), 10. Bubba Harry (Griffin).
John Deere Roadsters:
1. Jeremy Kalina driving for Jim Gresham (Stockbridge), 2. Justin Stauffer (Gainesville), 3. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 4. Dwight Pilgram (McDonough), 5. Paige Monette (Alpharetta), 6. Ralph Bush driving for Zach Monette (Alpharetta).
Zaxby's Young Guns:
1. Austin Hill (Winston), 2. Ty Bennett (Loganville), 3. Matthew Stover (Gastonia, N.C.), 4. Robby Dunlap (Newnan), 5. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 6. Tyler Armstrong (Alpharetta), 7. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), 8. Zac Kittle (Watkinsville), 9. Rawlin West (Locust Grove), 10. 10. Stan Hammons (Milner), 11. Dustyn Cunningham (Madison), 12. Taylor Bryant (Juliette), 13. Ty Dillon (Winston-Salem), 14. Blake Eden (Deland, Fla.).
John Deere Outlaws:
1. Trey Maughan (Knoxville, Tenn.), 2. Jonathan Chandler (Fayetteville), 3. Kyle Kitchens (Hampton), 4. Trevor Caudle (Rockwall, N.C.), 5. James Caldwell (McDonough).