Atlanta Motor Speedway's Winter Flurry Week 4 Results
Monday, January 22, 2007
Week four of Atlanta Motor Speedway's Winter Flurry Legends racing series saw competitors wind their way through the high-speed one-mile AMS infield road course for the second straight event.
The Thunder Roadsters were the first feature race of the day with Jim Gresham on the point and Ed Clark on the outside pole for the eight-lap event. Clark made a daring move to the inside of Gresham in Turn One, rubbing tires and passing him for the lead. Dwight Pilgram moved into second-place and hounded Clark for the lead throughout the entire event, racing nose-to-tail. Clark held off the hard charging Pilgram for the victory.
The five-eights scale, full-fendered Legends cars were the next group to hit the track for the C-Main event, with all Legends divisions combined. Zac Kittle brought the 13-car field to the line with Fred Miles on his outside. Kittle jumped to a large lead and was never seriously challenged for the lead throughout the six-lap event. The top four drivers advanced to the Legends Feature race, with the remainder going to the Last Chance Qualifier.
Set by qualifying times, Donald Mcintosh found himself on the pole for the Legends B-Main. Mcintosh led R.S. Senter to the first turn and kept him in his rearview mirror throughout the entire event. Like the C-Main, the top four finishers advanced to the Legends Feature race, with the rest of the field being sent to the Last Chance Qualifier.
For the Legends A-Main event, Jeremy Kalina led Casey Roderick and the rest of the 14-car field to the green flag. Kalina, Roderick and last week's Feature winner Doug Stevens broke away in a three car lead shortly after the green flag fell. The trio raced three-wide into the final turn on lap three with Stevens emerging the victor, leading the pack to the line. Stevens would go on to win the A-Main, followed by Roderick and Kalina. The top twelve finishers from the A-Main advanced to the Legends Feature race.
Twenty-three cars were on the grid for the Last Chance Qualifier with everyone fighting for one of four coveted transfer spots. Tensions were high on the start and a pile-up in Turn One on the first lap sent three cars to the pits with damage. Billy Fulson led the first two circuits when a surging Robert Spence caught and passed him. Eventually, Fulson was able to get the lead position back on a last lap pass. Fulson, Keeton Hanks, Spence and Wade Brewer all advanced to the Legends feature event, completing the 24-car field.
For the 10-lap Main Event, Doug Stevens led the 24-car field to the stripe, with Roderick, Kalina and Bubba Harry the next three cars in line. Stevens had amassed more than a one-second lead when Jason Turner pounded the guard rail in his yellow No. 23 car at the exit of the esses on lap three, resulting in a full course caution.
After a lengthy caution to fix the damaged barrier, Stevens led Kalina to the green flag for the restart. The cars made five circuits under green when the caution flew again for a mechanical problem on Kalina's black No. 18 car, setting up a two-lap sprint to the finish. Stevens led the final two laps, holding off Jeff Haynie and Harry for the victory.
The Bandit Division saw Kyle Plott lead Kyle Benjamin and the other 11 starters to the green flag. Scott Hensley made a first turn pass on Benjamin to take over the runner-up spot and passed Plott on lap two to claim the lead. Plott wasn't going down without a fight and re-took the lead on a high-speed lap five pass at the entrance to pit road. Plott would hold the lead and capture the checkered flag. Because of their top finishes, Plott and Benjamin were allowed to race with the Young Guns and Outlaws in their feature race, starting in the back of the field.
Trey Maughn paced the combined Outlaws and Young Guns to the start of the feature race and Maughan immediately jumped out to a commanding lead. A lap four caution for a disabled Bandolero tightened the field for the restart. Maughan led the remaining four laps to snare the victory over runner-up Will Prance.
Atlanta Motor Speedway's Winter Flurry returns on February 3 for a full slate of Legends, Bandolero and Roadster racing on the infield road course.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Pete Horne at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
1. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 2. Dwight Pilgram (McDonough), 3. Paige Monette (Alpharetta), 4. Jim Gresham (Stockbridge).
Legends C-Main Event:
1. Zac Kittle (Watkinsville), 2. Fred Miles (Alpharetta), 3. Chris Siebert (Hampton), 4. Will Hannah (Newnan), 5. Jeremy Mullinax (Jasper), 6. John May (Dothan, Ala.), 7. Johnny Rucker (McDonough) 8. Jai Otwell (Bremen), 9. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 10. Amanda Harvin (Griffin), 11. Jimmy Wade (Griffin), 12. Chris Bowie (Douglasville), 13. Melissa Wade (Griffin).
Legends B-Main Event:
1. Donald Mcintosh (Dawsonville), 2. R.S. Senter (Oakwood), 3. Jason Turner (Griffin), 4. Corey Parham (Elberton), 5. Keeton Hanks (Auburn, KY), 6. Robert Spence (Atlanta), 7. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 8. Chris Schier, 9. Bill Henry (Kennesaw), 10. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 11. Wade Brewer (Hampton), 12. Craig Floyd (Atlanta), 13. Justin Swilling (Cohutta), 14. John May (Dothan, Ala.).
Legends A-Main Event:
1. Doug Stevens (McDonough), 2. Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville), 3. Jeremy Kalina (Griffin), 4. Bubba Harry (Griffin), 5. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 6. T.J. Halsema (Roswell), 7. Brad Shelnutt (Stockbridge), 8. Cody Haskins (Marietta) 9. L.J. Klemmons (Griffin), 10. Max Gresham (Milner), 11. Kyle Lowry (Covington), 12. Zach Reardon (Buford), 13. Billy Fulson (Brooks), 14. Alex Fox (Hog Mountain).
Last Chance Qualifier:
1. Billy Fulson (Brooks), 2. Robert Spence (Atlanta), 3. Keeton Hanks (Auburn KY), 4.Wade Brewer (Hampton) 5. Bill Henry, 6. Jeremey Mullinax (Jasper), 7. Jay Cloud (Lexington, KY), 8. Clay Apple (Newnan), 9. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 10. Will Roland, 11. John May (Dothan Ala.), 12. Chris Bowie (Douglasville), 13. Justin Swilling (Cohutta), 14. Melissa Wade (Griffin), 15. Jimmy Wade (Griffin), 16. Bobby Fox (Hog Mountain), 17. Alex Fox (Hog Mountain), 18. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 19. Jai Otwell (Bremen), 20. Chris Schier (Atlanta).
Legends Main Event:
1. Doug Stevens (McDonough), 2. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 3. Bubba Harry (Griffin), 4. Cody Haskins (Marietta), 5. Max Gresham (Milner), 6. Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville), 7. Robert Spence (Atlanta), 8. R.S. Senter (Oakwood), 9. Billy Fulson (Brooks), 10. Zach Reardon (Buford), 11. Donald Mcintosh (Dawsonville), 12. Brad Shelnutt (Stockbridge), 13. Corey Parham (Elberton), 14. Keeton Hanks (Auburn, KY), 15. Will Hannah (Newnan), 16. TJ Halsema (Roswell), 17. Kyle Lowry (Covington), 18. Wade Brewer (Hampton), 19. Chris Siebert (Hampton), 20. Fred Miles (Alpharetta), 21. Jeremy Kalina (Griffin), 22. Zac Kittle (Watkinsville), 23. Jason Turner (Griffin), 24. LJ Klemmons (Griffin).
1. Kyle Plott (Marietta), 2. Evan Swilling (Cohutta), 3. Kyle Benjamin (Simpsonville, S.C.), 4. Scott Hensley (Olive Branch, Miss.) 5. Dylan Ames, 6. Mason Massey (Winston), 7. Joseph Pilato (Cropwell, Ala.) 8. Grant Crane (Zebulon), 9. Evan Bell (Buford), 10. J.D. Farlow (Grantville), 11. Matt Dooley (Brooks), 12. Davey Matthews (Douglasville), 13. Charlie Gresham (Milner).
1. Trey Maughan (Knoxville, Tenn.), 2. Blake Eden (Deland, Fla.), 3. Will Prance (Canton), 4. Jonathan Chandler (Fayetteville), 5. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), 6. Judson Kittle (Watkinsville), 7. Ty Bennett (Loganville), 8. James Caldwell (McDonough), 9. Dustyn Cunningham (Madison), 10. Kayla Medley (Alpharetta), 12. Darrell Banks (Sharpsburg), 13. Amber Colvin (Tallahassee, Fla.), 14. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), 15. Thomas Quattlebaum (Newnan).