"We are happy to give our community a safe environment to enjoy the Fourth of July festivities and a great night of racing as well," said vice president of events and Thursday Thunder race director, Brandon Hutchison. "Hopefully, we've made a few new Thursday Thunder fans that will come join us for the final month of the season."
Chase Elliott brought the field to the green for the Zaxby's Bandits feature. Early in the race, Elliott jumped out to a 12 car-length lead. On lap 13, a three car accident occurred in turn four, bringing out the caution. The caution bunched the field up, eliminating the large lead Elliott had earned. Another caution ensued on the restart, involving first-place Elliott and second-place Mason Massey, sending them both to the rear of the field with Davey Matthews inheriting the lead. Elliott charged through the field, climbing his way to the fourth position in only three laps. After a fourth caution, the field was tightened up for a three-lap shootout to the checkered flag. Davey Matthews held on to log his third win this season.
Greencastle Dental Young Guns feature started with Jordan Coker out front. Coker and Scott Hensley swapped the lead back and forth for the first two laps, eventually making contact in turn four, in which Coker was unable to resume the race. Dustyn Cunningham took over the race lead with Blake Eden right on his bumper. Eden and Cunningham traded the top spot between each other lap after lap, putting on a great show for the fans, with Eden ultimately settling into the lead. Cunningham stayed glued to Eden's bumper, but Eden captured the checkered flag for his second win of the summer, maintaining his spot as the division points leader.
Trey Maughan was the pole sitter for the Morley Company Outlaws feature. Maughan and Darrell Banks put on a spectacular display for the fans trading the lead back and forth for the first ten laps of the race. At the halfway point, Maughan turned it up a notch, driving away from Banks to score his first win of the Thursday Thunder summer series.
Fuddrucker's Semi-Pro feature began with Kyle Lowry on the point. Lowry showed his might, putting distance between he and the rest of the field. Lowry sustained his lead to record second victory this season.
Johnny Rucker took the green flag first for the Back Yard Burgers Roadsters feature. Rucker put a beating on the field, leading every lap en route to his second Roadster win of the summer.
Curry's Collision Center Chargers feature opened with Judson Kittle on the pole. Tyler Armstrong took the early lead and set sail for victory lane, notching his third Thursday Thunder win of the year.
Jeff Haynie paced the field to the start for Tanger Outlet Center Masters feature. Haynie led every lap and also acquired the points lead with tonight's win, his third this summer.
Adrenalin Powersports Pro feature closed the show with Max Gresham crossing the start/finish line first. On lap four, Billy Fulson became the race leader. Points leader, Casey Roderick had to start from the rear of the field, however, this week his car was being piloted by substitute driver Doug Stevens. By lap nine, Stevens has advanced to the second position, putting pressure on Fulson. Stevens was unable to get by Fulson, who snared his second win of the season with Roderick retaining the points lead.
After the races concluded tonight, fans were treated to a fireworks extravaganza courtesy of Papa John's Pizza and Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Atlanta Motor Speedway's Thursday Thunder will return on Thursday, July 12 for a night full of Legends, Bandolero and Thunder Roadster racing. Next week will feature the Faster Pastor race where eight area church pastors will compete in street cars to determine who the fastest pastor will be. The pastor who wins the race be given the honor of providing the invocation prior to this fall's Georgia 500 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup race at Atlanta Motor Speedway on October 28.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Pete Horne at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
1. Davey Matthews (Douglasville), 2. Chase Elliott (Blairsville), 3. Mason Massey (Winston), 4. Grant Crane (Zebulon), 5. J.D. Farlow (Grantville), 6. Critter Saile (Casselberry, Fla.) driving for Dillon Bassett (Winston-Salem, N.C.), 7. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 8. Chris Achenbach (Douglasville) driving for Kyle Plott (Marietta), 9. Brady Boswell (Watkinsville), 10. Evan Bell (Buford), 11. Matt Dooley (Brooks), 12. Jacob Wallace (Griffin), 13. Alex Coffey (McDonough), 14. Evan Swilling (Cohutta), 15. Charlie Gresham (Milner), DQ - Kyle Benjamin (Simpsonville, S.C.).
Greencastle Dental Young Guns:
1. Blake Eden (Deland, Fla.), 2. Will Prance (Canton), 3. Scott Hensley (Olive Branch, MS), 4. Joseph Pilato (Cropwell, Ala.), 5. Justin Swilling (Cohutta) driving for Ronnie Bassett (Winston-Salem, N.C.), 6. Rawlin West (Locust Grove), 7. Bret Harden (Acworth), 8. Shawn Wortham (Woodstock), 9. Dallan Wortham (Woodstock), 10. Jordan Rogers (Thomaston), 11. Jake Armstrong (Fayetteville), 12. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), 13. Rasia Nadjkovic (Griffin), DQ - Dustyn Cunningham (Madison).
Morley Company Outlaws:
1. Trey Maughan (Knoxville, Tenn.), 2. Darrell Banks (Sharpsburg), 3. Steven "Diggie" Bush (Seale, Ala.), 4. Jerry Silvers (Calhoun).
1. Kyle Lowry (Covington), 2. Cody Haskins (Marietta) driving for Austin Hill (Winston), 3. Zac Kittle (Watkinsville), 4. Matt Norton (Covington) driving for Jeremy Mullinax (Jasper), 5. Trey Poole (Pine Mountain), 6. Chase Moody (Griffin), 7. Dustyn Davis (Swainsboro) driving for Matt Stover (Gastonia, N.C.), 8. Brad Shelnutt (Stockbridge), 9. Justin Swilling (Cohutta), 10. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 11. Dylan Ames (Huntsville, Ala.), 12. Daniel Moore (Griffin), 13. Chris Seibert (Hampton), 14. Jonathan Chandler (Fayetteville), 15. T.J. Halsema (Roswell), 16. Phillip Bell (Senoia).
Back Yard Burgers Roadsters:
1. Johnny Rucker (McDonough), 2. Dwight Pilgram (McDonough), 3. Jim Gresham (Stockbridge), 4. Paige Monette (Alpharetta), 5. Skip Nichols (Albany) driving for Brian Weimer (Cumming), 6. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 7. Dale Akridge (Lilburn), 8. Jared Eager (Winder).
Curry's Collision Center Chargers:
1. Tyler Armstrong (Fayetteville), 2. Judson Kittle (Watkinsville), 3. Will Prance (Canton), 4. Carl Chapman (Norwood), 5. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 6. Matthew Taylor (Ellaville), 7. Tyler Burnette (Jefferson), 8. Josh Taylor (Ellaville), 9. Fred Miles (Alpharetta), 10. Rick Geddes (Newnan), 11. P.J. Alexander (McDonough), 12. Jai Otwell (Bremen), 13. Melissa Wade (Griffin), 14. Mike Weed (Franklin), 15. Chris Bowie (Douglasville), 16. Leslie Cash (Brooks), 17. Zach Weaver (Phenix City, Ala.), 18. Alex Roberts (Monroe).
Tanger Outlet Center Masters:
1. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 2. Dwight Pilgram (Stockbridge), 3. Skip Nichols (Albany), 4. Wade Brewer (Hampton), 5. Bill Henry (Kennesaw), 6. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 7. Virgil Brown (Concord), 8. Sam McCullough (Snellville) driving for Brian Weimer (Cumming), 9. Robert Spence (Atlanta), 10. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 11. Jimmy Wade (Griffin).
Adrenalin Powersports Pro:
1. Billy Fulson (Brooks), 2. Doug Stevens (McDonough) driving for Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville), 3. Taylor Hull (Winston), 4. Jeremy Kalina (Williamson) driving for Max Gresham (Milner), 5. Bubba Harry (Griffin), 6. Ryan Gandee (McDonough), 7. Andrew Smith (Pooler), 8. Ted Studley (Niceville, Fla.).