The Zaxby's Bandits feature began with Davey Matthews as the pole sitter. Chase Elliott, son of NASCAR champion Bill Elliott, passed for the lead on the inside lane on lap seven. Matthews made a challenge but was unable to get around Elliott, who scored his second straight win of the season. Kyle Plott, the 2006 Zaxby's Bandits champion, was crowned the division champion for the second consecutive year.
Points leader Currie Pierce led the field to the start for the Curry's Collision Center Chargers feature. Pierce led every lap, claiming his second win of the summer and locking up the top points spot in the division.
The Back Yard Burgers Roadsters feature opened with Bubba Harry on the point. There were many battles for position behind Harry, however, no one could touch Harry's bumper, as he had a half a straightaway lead over second-place. Harry logged the win, his second in only two Roadster starts this year. The 2005 Tanger Outlet Centers Masters champion, Dwight Pilgram, attained his first Back Yard Burger Roadsters championship in only his first full season competing in the division.
Ronnie Bassett paced the field to the start for the combined Greencastle Dental Young Guns and Morley Company Outlaws feature. Bassett took advantage of the top spot, putting considerable distance between him and the rest of the field. Darrell Banks was the top finishing Morley Company Outlaw, capturing his fourth win of the summer. Blake Eden and Diggie Bush claimed the championships in the Young Guns and Outlaw divisions respectively.
The Tanger Outlet Centers Masters feature began with Brian Weimer out front. Points leader Jeff Haynie was on Weimer's bumper lap after lap, getting to Weimer's inside several times, but was unable to make the pass. On lap 11, Haynie pulled ahead of Weimer, completing the pass for the lead and the eventual win. With his win, Haynie secured his first Thursday Thunder championship in his seventh season of competition.
Billy Fulson started on the pole for the Adrenalin Powersports Pro feature. Fulson led every lap of the feature posting his third win of the summer. In five years of Thursday Thunder competition, Casey Roderick has won a 2003 and 2004 Bandits championship and a 2005 Semi-Pro championship. With his third-place Pro feature finish, he garnered a 2007 Adrenalin Powersports Pro championship. He now boasts an impressive four championship titles in five full Thursday Thunder seasons.
The Fuddrucker's Semi-Pro feature launched with Trey Poole as the race leader. Poole, the nephew of NASCAR champion Bill Elliott, ran an outstanding race, leading all the feature circuits to snare his first feature win at AMS. Second-place finisher, Matthew Stover, grabbed his first Thursday Thunder championship.
In the spirit of local children returning back to school, fans were treated to Ken Nelson's wheel-standing school bus as part of the night's activities. Nelson completed a pair of two-tire wheel-stands down AMS' frontstretch and pit road at speeds in excess of 100 mph, which delighted the crowd. Nelson will make a return appearance at AMS on Friday, Aug. 3 during Hanes ComfortZone Night at the Castrol GTX Friday Night Drags event.
1. Chase Elliott (Blairsville), 2. Davey Matthews (Douglasville), 3. Kyle Plott (Marietta), 4. Kyle Benjamin (Simpsonville, S.C.), 5. Dillon Bassett (Winston-Salem, N.C.), 6. Evan Swilling (Cohutta), 7. Mason Massey (Winston), 8. Evan Bell (Buford), 9. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 10. Matt Dooley (Brooks), 11. Brady Boswell (Watkinsville), 12. Charlie Gresham (Milner), 13. J.D. Farlow (Grantville), 14. Alex Coffey (McDonough).
Curry's Collision Center Chargers:
1. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 2. Judson Kittle (Watkinsville), 3. Will Prance (Canton), 4. Carl Chapman (Norwood), 5. Tyler Burnette (Jefferson), 6. Alex Roberts (Monroe), 7. Mike Weed (Franklin), 8. Melissa Wade (Griffin), 9. Jai Otwell (Bremen), 10. Leslie Cash (Brooks), 11. Chris Bowie (Douglasville), 12. Fred Miles (Alpharetta), 13. Rick Geddes (Newnan), 14. Zach Weaver (Phenix City, Ala.).
Back Yard Burgers Roadsters:
1. Bubba Harry (Griffin), 2. Dwight Pilgram (McDonough), 3. Brian Weimer (Cumming), 4. Johnny Rucker (McDonough), 5. Paige Monette (Alpharetta), 6. Jim Gresham (Stockbridge), 7. Ed Clark (Peachtree City).
Greencastle Dental Young Guns:
1. Ronnie Bassett (Winston-Salem, N.C.), 2. Dustyn Cunningham (Madison), 3. Scott Hensley (Olive Branch, MS), 4. Joseph Pilato (Cropwell, Ala.), 5. Jake Armstrong (Fayetteville), 6. Blake Eden (Deland, Fla.), 7. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), 8. Jordan Rogers (Thomaston), 9. Rawlin West (Locust Grove), 10. Jonathan Lybrand (Newnan), 11. Brett Hardin (Acworth), 12. Shawn Wortham (Woodstock), 13. Dallan Wortham (Woodstock), 14. Will Prance (Canton).
Morley Company Outlaws:
1. Darrell Banks (Sharpsburg), 2. Jerry Silvers (Calhoun), 3. Diggie Bush (Seale, Ala.).
Tanger Outlet Centers Masters:
1. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 2. Brian Weimer (Cumming), 3. Skip Nichols (Albany), 4. Dwight Pilgram (Stockbridge), 5. Robert Spence (Atlanta), 6. Brad Shelnutt (Locust Grove), 7. Wade Brewer (Hampton), 8. Virgil Brown (Concord), 9. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 10. Jimmy Wade (Griffin), 11. Bill Henry (Kennesaw), 12. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), DQ - Mark Wallace (Griffin).
Adrenalin Powersports Pro:
1. Billy Fulson (Brooks), 2. Taylor Hull (Winston), 3. Casey Roderick (Lawrenceville), 4. Max Gresham (Milner), 5. Ted Studley (Niceville, Fla.), 6. Andrew Smith (Pooler), 7. Ryan Gandee (McDonough).
1. Trey Poole (Pine Mountain), 2. Matt Stover (Gastonia, N.C.), 3. Zach Zimmerly (Tigard, Ore.), 4. Justin Swilling (Cohutta), 5. Kyle Lowry (Covington), 6. Jeremy Mullinax (Jasper), 7. Dylan Ames (Huntsville, Ala.), 8. Chase Moody (Griffin), 9. Zac Kittle (Watkinsville), 10. Will Hannah (Newnan), 11. Austin Hill (Winston), 12. Jonathan Chandler (Fayetteville), 13. Chris Seibert (Hampton), 14. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 15. Jody Tallent (Cumming), 16. Tyler Armstrong (Fayetteville).