The fifth season of Winter Flurry, Atlanta Motor Speedway's winter Legends, Thunder Roadster and Bandolero racing series, took the green flag on Friday evening, November 9. The Winter Flurry season will encompass six events including opening night, December 14, January 6, January 19, February 23 and the final event during the Kobalt Tools 500 NASCAR race weekend on March 7-9.
The sleek Thunder Roadsters were the first division to take the green flag with Bubba Harry leading the field. Dwight Pilgram challenged Harry in the early stages of the race, but Harry eventually drove to the victory followed by Pilgram and Ed Clark.
The Bandits division, open to drivers as young as eight years old, rolled off the grid for the second feature race of the evening with Mason Massey on the point. On lap 14 Kyle Plott moved into the lead and was driving to the season opening win when his younger brother Kason spun, bringing out the caution and setting up a green-white-checkered sprint to the finish. In the closing stages of the race, Kyle Benjamin grabbed the lead from Kyle Plott with the white flag in the air, only to relinquish it on the last lap back to Plott, creating a thrilling photo finish.
Joseph Pilato escorted the combined Young Guns / Outlaws field to the green flag for the third feature race. A caution flew on lap two for debris with another on lap six for the spinning car of Cody Garland, keeping the field tight for the remaining laps. Chase Elliott grabbed the lead on lap seven and went on to claim the victory in his first Young Guns event at AMS. Darrell Banks beat Trey Maughn to the stripe for the victory in the Outlaw Division.
Austin Hill started on the pole for the Semi-Pro main event, but surrendered the lead just one lap later to Will Prance. Justin Swilling took the lead on lap five with a daring move and proceeded to claim the victory.
The Chargers Division was the next to take the green flag with Judson Kittle sitting on the pole. Despite two cautions on lap nine and 16 for minor incidents, Kittle rolled to the opening night victory over a hard charging Davey Matthews.
Jeff Haynie guided the Masters Division to the green flag and led every circuit. Randy Thornton eventually fought his way to second place with Dwight Pilgram rounding out the top-three.
The Pro Division was the last feature race of the night with Ryan Gandee on the point. Gandee lead until the halfway point when Billy Fulson raced his way to the top spot, despite spinning earlier in the event. Fulson cruised to the victory with Gandee, Trey Poole, Brian Meredith and Eric Simpson rounding out the top-five.
The Winter Flurry Series continues on December 14 for a full slate of Legends, Bandolero and Roadster racing on the frontstretch quarter-mile oval, the "Thunder Ring."
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Pete Horne at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
1. Bubba Harry 2. Dwight Pilgram (substitute driving for Brian Weimer) 3. Ed Clark
1. Kyle Plott 2. Kyle Benjamin 3. Evan Swilling 4. Mason Massey 5. Justin Thomas 6. Charlie Gresham 7. Kason Plott 8. Jacob Wallace 9. Matt Dooley 10. Brady Boswell 11. Will Martin 12. Alex Coffey 13. Matthew Johnson
1. Darrel Banks 2.Trey Maughan
1. Chase Elliott 2. Dustyn Cunningham 3.Tyler Armstrong 4. Joseph Pilato 5. Brett Hardin 6. Jordan Rogers 7. Luke Behnke 8. Garrett Smithley 9. Cody Garland
1. Justin Swilling 2. Zac Kittle 3. Dylan Ames 4. Will Prance 5. Austin Hill 6. Currie Pierce 7. Tyler Millwood 8. Chris Seibert 9. Tyler Armstrong 10. R.S. Senter 11. T.J. Halsema 12. Don McIntosh 13. Alexander Fox 14. Robbie Woodall 15.Carl Chapman
1. Judson Kittle 2. Davey Matthews 3. Rawlin West 4. Mike Weed 5. Rick Geddes 6. Melissa Wade 7. Chris Bowie 8. Will Roland
1. Bill Fulson 2. Ryan Gandee 3. Trey Poole 4. Brian Meredith 5. Eric Simpson
1. Jeff Haynie 2. Randy Thornton 3. Dwight Pilgram (substitute driving for Brian Weimer) 4. Brad Shelnutt 5. Bill Henry 6. Ed Clark 7. Frank Johnson 9. Bobby Fox 10. Jim Daniel