Thursday Thunder Drivers Prep for 2008-09 Winter Flurry Schedule at AMS
The winter Legends racing season kicked off at Atlanta Motor Speedway with an INEX points race on Friday night, allowing competitors the opportunity to gear up for the 2008-09 Winter Flurry season that is slated to open on Nov. 14 at AMS.
The Friday event, one of the final INEX points races preceding the INEX Legend Nationals in Minnesota, gave drivers a last chance to gain needed points for national standings and to prepare for the six-date Winter Flurry season at Atlanta Motor Speedway that runs from Nov. 14 through March 7.
The Chargers feature began with Melina Rolo leading the way. Rolo spun out in the first corner allowing Griffin's Jacob Wallace to claim the lead. He would battle with Chris Bowie for position early in the race, but Wallace was able to establish the advantage and claim the win.
Jeremy Reling held the pole position for the Roadsters feature. In the second position, Ed Clark chased close behind early, but Reling steadily added to his advantage and claimed the Roadsters victory.
Brady Boswell of Watkinsville started on the pole for the Bandits feature. Just past the half-way point, Alex Coffey briefly overtook Boswell, but after skidding slightly, Boswell jumped Coffey to retake the lead. Battling to the finish, Boswell was able to edge Coffey to the line.
The combined classes of Young Guns and Outlaws were led to the start by Jake Armstrong of Fayetteville who quickly developed a sizeable advantage. Armstrong was seemingly cruising to victory with an insurmountable lead when a caution brought the field together with three laps remaining. On the restart, Justin Thomas attempted a pass, but Armstrong stood pat and took the win.
Chase Elliott began the Semi-Pro feature pacing the field and stormed out to a double-digit car-length lead. Unchallenged by his competition, Elliot, son of former NASCAR champion Bill Elliott, cruised to the victory.
Brad Shellnut's No. 24 Masters car had the lead position to start the combined race of Masters and Pro classes. Shellnut battled with Will Prance's Pro machine in the opening laps, but Prance quickly pulled ahead in the superior car. Trey Poole chased Prance closely, but was unable to sneak around the Canton native who won.
Fans interested in attending Winter Flurry Legends races at Atlanta Motor Speedway can purchase infield passes at the GSP building located near the main entrance to Atlanta Motor Speedway. Infield passes are $12 for adults, $5 for ages six through 12, and children ages five and younger are admitted for free. The general grandstands are not open during winter-season Legends races.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Peter Horne III at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com. For more information on Atlanta Motor Speedway events, including Legends racing, drag racing and October's Pep Boys Auto 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Race, visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
For more information on INEX and the INEX Legend Nationals, to be held Oct. 2-4 at Elko Speedway in Minnesota, visit www.600racing.com.
9/26/08 INEX Points-Race Results:
1. Jacob Wallace (Griffin), 2. Chris Bowie (Douglasville), 3. Melina Rolo (Cumming), 4. Steve Burns (Key West, Fla.), 5. Mark Younginer (Jonesboro), 6. Don Chandler (Macon), 7. John Ponzio (Tyrone), 8. Tyler Edwards.
1. Jeremy Reling (Morrow), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City).
1. Brady Boswell (Watkinsville), 2. Alex Coffey (McDonough), 3. Matthew Johnson (Canton), 4. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 5. Angus Hunt (Powder Springs), 6. Lisa Crane (Griffin), 7. Tyler Moseley (McDonough).
1. Jake Armstrong (Fayetteville), 2. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 3. Luke Behnke (Fayetteville), 4. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City), 5. Jonathan Lybrand (Newnan), 6. Dallan Worthman (Woodstock).
1. Bret Hardin (Acworth).
1. Chase Elliott (Dawsonville), 2. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 3. Zach Weaver (Phenix City, Ala.), 4. Mike Weed (Franklin).
1. Brad Shelnutt (Locust Grove), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 3. Jim Daniel (Thomaston).
1. Will Prance (Canton), 2. Trey Poole (Pine Mountain), 3. Kyle Kitchens (Hampton).
2008-09 Legends Winter Flurry Schedule:
10/25/08 - Legends Races following the Atlanta 200 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race on the ‘Thunder Ring' quarter-mile track
11/14/08 - Winter Flurry Race No. One on the ‘Thunder Ring' quarter-mile track
12/13/08 - Winter Flurry Race No. Two on the AMS road course
1/17/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Three on the AMS road course
1/31/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Four on th e AMS road course
2/21/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Five on the ‘Thunder Ring' quarter-mile track
3/7/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Six during the Kobalt Tools 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race weekend