Atlanta Motor Speedway's second date of the 2008-09 Winter Flurry Racing Series featured both left and right-hand turns, as the competitors took to the Speedway's one-mile infield road course for the first time this season.
Austin Hill stood out in the year's first road course event, winning the Legends Main Event from the pole position following his Legends A Qualifier win. Adding to the day's excitement, Brady Boswell used a pass in the final turn of the Bandits feature to claim victory.
For the road course Winter Flurry event, all Legends divisions are combined in practice with qualifying race line-ups determined by practice speed. Positions for the Main Event are set by finishes in the Legends A, B, and C Qualifiers. Meanwhile, the Roadsters and Bandits competed in closed division races, with the Young Guns and Outlaws competing in a combined event.
Bubba Harry led the Roadster feature to the field for the first road course race of the day. Harry and Ed Clark raced side-by-side during the opening laps, until Harry moved ahead on the third lap. However, one lap later, Clark would reclaim the lead. Exchanging positions through the final laps, Harry surged ahead in the race's final lap to claim the win.
Mike Weed held the pole position to begin the Legends C Qualifier and quickly built a sizeable lead. Down double-digit car lengths with two laps to go, Davey Matthews began to close the gap on Weed. But despite his advances, Matthews was unable to chase down Weed, who held on to win.
The Legends B Qualifier began with Mike Conrad pacing the field to the green flag, but Alexander Fox quickly claimed the lead position on the first lap. By the race's midpoint, Brad Shelnutt was patiently overtaking competitors and closing on Fox. Using a stiff bump on the final lap, Shelnutt was able to overtake Fox and claim the win.
Chase Elliott paced the 12-car field to the start for the Legends A Qualifier, but Hill immediately overtook Elliott for the advantage. Hill began to build a noteworthy lead before debris in the S-turns forced a caution and brought the field together. Hill maintained the lead on the restart, but Elliott remained close to his tail. Jeff Haynie pushed ahead of Elliott on the final lap, but was unable to catch Hill, who cruised to the checkered flag.
After winning the Legends A Qualifier, Hill brought the 26-car field to the start for the Legends Main Event. Through the first three laps, Hill nursed a small advantage over Haynie until three cautions on consecutive laps brought the field together. Hill and Haynie remained at the front after the third restart, with Hill leading the way. With Haynie unable to close on Hill in the final laps, Hill would lead wire-to-wire to claim the victory in the Legends Main Event feature.
The Bandits feature began with Angus Hunt leading the field, but Kason Plott soon became the race leader. Following the pass, Plott surged out in front with Boswell chasing behind. Plott did not appear threatened by Boswell until the final lap, when Boswell used a pass in the race's final turn to claim the advantage and the win.
Jacob Armstrong held the lead position to start the combined classes of Young Guns and Outlaws, but Evan Bell claimed first shortly after passing the flag stand to start the second lap. Unchallenged by the field through the remaining laps, Bell crossed the finish first to take the victory.
Fans interested in attending Winter Flurry Legends races at Atlanta Motor Speedway can purchase infield passes at the GSP building located near the main entrance to Atlanta Motor Speedway. Infield passes are $12 for adults, $5 for ages six through 12, and children ages five and younger are admitted for free. The general grandstands are not open during winter-season Legends races.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Peter Horne III at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com. For more information on Atlanta Motor Speedway events, including Legends racing, drag racing and March's Kobalt Tools 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Race, visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
12/13/08 Winter Flurry Results:
1. Bubba Harry (Griffin), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City).
1. Mike Weed (Franklin), 2. Davey Matthews (Douglasville), 3. Don Chandler (Macon), 4. Jason Settles, 5. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), 6. Tyler Edwards (Acworth), 7. Melina Rolo (Cumming).
1. Brad Shelnutt (Locust Grove), 2. Alexander Fox (Hog Mountain), 3. Mike Conard (Dawson), 4. Phillip Young (Dallas), 5. Mike Abercrombie (Jackson), 6. Jason Lovett.
1. Austin Hill (Winston), 2. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 3. Chase Elliott (Dawsonville), 4. Trey Poole (Pine Mountain), 5. Will Prance (Canton), 6. Daniel McIntosh, 7. Kyle Plott (Marietta), 8. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 9. Jarod Lovett, 10. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 11. Eric Simpson, 12. Ed Clark (Peachtree City).
Legends Main Event:
1. Austin Hill (Winston), 2. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 3. Trey Poole (Pine Mountain), 4. Will Prance (Canton), 5. Kyle Plott (Marietta), 6. Chase Elliott (Dawsonville), 7. Daniel McIntosh, 8. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 9. Davey Matthews (Douglasville), 10. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 11. Jarod Lovett, 12. Mike Weed (Franklin), 13. Brad Shelnutt (Locust Grove), 14. Mike Conard (Dawson), 15. Mike Abercrombie (Jackson), 16. Don Chandler (Macon), 17. Jason Lovett, 18. Melina Rolo (Cumming), 19. Tyler Edwards (Acworth), 20. Jason Settles, 21. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 22. Eric Simpson, 23. Phillip Young (Dallas), 24. Jordan Coker (Powder Springs), ATQ. Alexander Fox, ATQ. Bobby Fox.
1. Brady Boswell (Watkinsville), 2. Kason Plott (Marietta), 3. Dalton Hill (Winston), 4. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 5. John Holleman (Winston Salem, N.C.), 6. Angus Hunt (Powder Springs).
1. Evan Bell (Buford), 2. Jacob Armstrong (Fayetteville), 3. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 4. Matthew Johnson (Canton), 5. Charlie Gresham (Milner), 6. Will Martin (Douglasville).
1. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City).
2008-09 Remaining Legends Winter Flurry Schedule:
1/24/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Three on the AMS road course
1/31/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Four on the AMS road course
2/21/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Five on the ‘Thunder Ring' quarter-mile track
3/7/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Six during the Kobalt Tools 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race weekend