Competing on the Atlanta Motor Speedway road course for the second and final time in the 2008-09 Winter Flurry schedule, Saturday's Winter Flurry event featured cars banging during both left and right-hand turns and a two-time winner.
Brain Weimer won two races on Saturday, with victories in both the Roadster feature and Legends B-Main Qualifier. In addition to the excitement of Weimer winning two events, the Legends Main Event ended with a disqualification that resulted in Kyle Plott being named the winner.
For the road course Winter Flurry event, all Legends divisions are combined in practice with qualifying race line-ups determined by practice speed. Positions for the Main Event are set by finishes in the Legends A and B Qualifiers. Meanwhile, the Roadsters and Bandits competed in closed division races, with the Young Guns and Outlaws competed in a combined event.
Weimer led the field to the green flag for the Legends B-Main Qualifier to start the day's action. Weimer quickly pulled away from the majority of the pack with Brad Shelnutt trailing close behind. Weimer appeared uncatchable as the race progressed by building a noteworthy lead, but a caution on the fifth lap would force the field together. With only a few laps remaining, Weimer again pulled out front with Jim Daniel on his trail, but Weimer proved too quick and cruised to the checkered flag for the win.
Austin Hill had the pole position for the Legends A-Main Qualifier and held his lead through the opening laps with Jeff Haynie on his tail. Hill and Haynie pushed ahead of the pack until a caution brought the competitors together. After the restart, contact spun Hill out of contention and Will Prance claimed the lead, followed closely by Chase Elliott. Prance and Elliott fought for position in the race's final moments, but Prance was able to hold off his competition for the win.
The Roadster feature began with Weimer leading the field and Ed Clark following closely. In a dominating effort, Weimer outpaced the field to take victory in the Roadster event for this second win of the afternoon.
After winning the Legends A-Main Qualifier, Prance led the field to the start for the Legends Main Event that featured a 25-car pack. Elliott quickly jumped into the lead on the race's first lap, but a caution would prevent him from surging ahead. On the restart, Elliott would remain in front with Daniel McIntosh and Plott trailing. Elliott held his position until the race's last lap when Plott attempted to pass for the win. But a hard bump from Elliott resulted in Plott spinning out and Elliott crossed the finish first. However, Elliott would be disqualified for the hard bump, resulting in Plott being named the winner.
Kason Plott held the pole position for the Bandits feature. Contact in the first chicane allowed Plott and Angus Hunt to jump ahead of the pack, but a caution on the second lap brought the field together. After the restart, Plott and Hunt immediately moved back to the front. Plott would maintain his position and take the win in the Bandits race.
Jake Armstrong held the advantage to start the combined classes of Young Guns and Outlaws, plus the first and second-place finishers from the Bandits feature, Plott and Hunt. Looking dominate throughout the feature, Armstrong maintained his lead position through the checkered flag for the win.
Fans interested in attending Winter Flurry Legends races at Atlanta Motor Speedway can purchase infield passes at the Security Command building located near the main entrance to Atlanta Motor Speedway. Infield passes are $12 for adults, $5 for ages six through 12, and children ages five and younger are admitted for free. The general grandstands are not open during winter-season Legends races.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Peter Horne III at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com . For more information on Atlanta Motor Speedway events, including Legends racing, drag racing and March's Kobalt Tools 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Race, visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com .
01/31/09 Winter Flurry Results:
1. Brian Weimer (Cumming), 2. Jim Daniel (Thomaston), 3. Mike Weed (Franklin), 4. Jarod Lovett (Forsyth), 5. Jacob Wallace (Griffin), 6. Phillip Young (Dallas), 7. Brad Shelnutt (Locust Grove), 8. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 9. Jordan Coker (Marietta), 10. Virgil Brown, 11. Alexander Fox (Hog Mountain), 12. Jason Lovett (Griffin), 13. Bobby Fox (Hog Mountain), 14. Billy Pyle (Forest Park), 15. David Wilkerson (Midland), 16. Bill Henry (Kennesaw).
1. Will Prance (Canton), 2. Chase Elliott (Dawsonville), 3. Daniel McIntosh (Dawsonville), 4. Kyle Plott (Marietta), 5. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 6. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 7. Davey Matthews (Douglasville), 8. LJ Klemons (Griffin), 9. Mike Abercrombie (Jackson), 10. RS Senter (Oakwood), 11. Austin Hill (Winston), 12. Tyler Edwards (Acworth).
1. Brian Weimer (Cumming), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City).
Legends Main Event:
1. Kyle Plott (Marietta), 2. Daniel McIntosh (Dawsonville), 3. Currie Pierce (Griffin), 4. Will Prance (Canton), 5. Davey Matthews (Douglasville), 6. LJ Klemons (Griffin), 7. RS Senter (Oakwood), 8. Brian Weimer (Cumming), 9. Jarod Lovett (Forsyth), 10. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 11. Mike Weed (Franklin), 12. Brad Shelnutt (Locust Grove), 13. Jordan Coker (Marietta), 14. Jacob Wallace (Griffin), 15. Alexander Fox (Hog Mountain), 16. Virgil Brown, 17. Jason Lovett (Griffin), 18. Chase Elliott (Dawsonville), 19. David Wilkerson (Midland), 20. Phillip Young (Dallas), 21. Billy Pyle (Forest Park), 22. Mike Abercrombie (Jackson), 23. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 24. Jim Daniel (Thomaston).
1. Kason Plott (Marietta), 2. Angus Hunt (Marietta), 3. Dalton Hill (Winston), 4. John Holleman (Winston Salem, N.C.), 5. Brady Boswell (Athens), 6. Madeline Crane (Meansville).
1. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 2. Kason Plott (Marietta), 3. Angus Hunt (Marietta), 4. Jonathan Lybrand (Newnan), 5. Joey Padgett (Tallahassee, Fla.), 6. Will Martin (Douglasville), 7. Evan Bell (Buford).
1. Jake Armstrong (Fayetteville), 2. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City).
2008-09 Remaining Legends Winter Flurry Schedule:
2/21/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Five on the 'Thunder Ring' quarter-mile track
3/7/09 - Winter Flurry Race No. Six during the Kobalt Tools 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race weekend