The third week of the 2012-13 Winter Flurry racing season at Atlanta Motor Speedway provided a wide cross-section of racing action among Legends and Bandolero divisions, with multiple feature races being decided by last-lap passes. Numerous drivers entered the day looking to improve upon their performances in the first two races on the winter series on the Speedway’s quarter-mile track.
The Bandits division was the afternoon’s first feature with Chandler Smith starting from the pole position and leading the field through the first five laps prior to the caution being displayed as well as on the seventh lap when the caution flag flew for the second time. The field was bunched up following a caution for a spin by Austin Geer on the 11th lap and another caution a lap later, but Smith withstood the challenge again, holding onto the advantage. Smith found himself ahead of a caution caused by contact between Geer and Lawson Ingold with two laps remaining. Smith prevailed on the final restart to claim his third victory in as many Winter Flurry races this season. Ingold finished second ahead of Abigail Marin and Geer.
Tina Johnson led the field to the green flag in the Masters division feature. Bill Plemons Jr. brought out the caution on the opening lap when he spun in turn one. Johnson held off second-place running Ed Clark the rest of the way as Clark was unable to pull even with Johnson.
Jay Coen was the leader as the field took the green flag in the Semi-Pro feature, leading the way before the caution came out one the ninth lap when Riley Thornton and Trevin Aswarnauth got together in turn one to bring out the yellow flag. The caution flew again on the tenth lap due to Thornton and Amber Fleeman making contact in the third turn. Aswarnauth got by Coen on the restart before the two made contact, bringing out the caution and collecting Taylor Jorgensen. Jorgensen was unable to continue, Coen was sent to the rear of the field, and Aswarnauth restarted as the leader with the race halfway complete. Aswarnauth held onto the top spot, but was overtaken in the fourth turn on the final lap with Thornton making a race-winning pass for the win, his third victory in a row.
Jensen Jorgenson paced the Outlaws feature at the start, leading the first six circuits prior to a caution flag. Ashton Winger took advantage of the bunched up field, making a pass for the lead on the eighth lap. The caution flag flew with seven laps remaining, and Winger held onto the lead on the restart and led the rest of the way for the win ahead of Jorgenson and Joshua Hicks.
Alex Coffey started on the pole as the Young Lions feature began. He used the starting spot to lead the way until the final lap, when Madeline Crane took advantage of an opening on the inside to make a race-winning pass entering turn one. Woodrow Mullis made his way by Coffey for the second position.
In the Pro division, Evan Bell was credited with the victory as Doug Stevens finished second. Bell’s victory halted a two-race winning streak by Stevens.
Short-track racing returns to Atlanta Motor Speedway on Saturday, Jan. 26 with the fourth race of the 2012-13 Winter Flurry season. A limited number of infield passes will be available at the Security Command building near the speedway’s main entrance. Infield access costs just $12 for adults, $5 for children ages six through 11 and admission is free for children ages five and younger. Cost to race is just $25. Minors and their guardians are required to complete a minor waiver before children ages 17 and younger can enter the infield. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
Jan. 5 Race Results:
1. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 3. Michael Sauer (Atlanta), 4. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta), 5. Mark Swan (Dunwoody), 6. Don Maness (Duluth), 7. John Ponzio (Tyrone), 8. Martin Snyder (Acworth), 9. Bill Plemons Jr. (Locust Grove).
1. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 2. Trevin Aswarnauth (Loganville), 3. Billy Stevenson (Locust Grove), 4. Amber Fleeman (Dacula), 5. Emilee Riley (Jasper), 6. Chris Payne (Smyrna), 7. Jay Coen (Dacula) 8. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge).
1. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 2. Lawson Ingold (Social Circle), 3. Abigail Marin (Peachtree City), 4. Austin Geer (Johns Creek), 5. Nathan Jackson (McDonough), 6. Connor Younginer, (Stockbridge).
1. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 2. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 3. Alex Coffey (McDonough), 4. Megan Younginer (Stockbridge), 5. Dylan Murry, (Cumming). 6. Blake Gaither (Nashville).
1. Ashton Winger (Fayetteville), 2. Jensen Jorgensen, (Stockbridge), 3. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 4. Eli Bailey (Johns Creek), 5. Alton Clark (Newnan), 6. Katelyn Weatherly (McDonough), 7. Miranda Meredith (Locust Grove).
1. Evan Bell (Buford), 2. Doug Stevens (Williamson).