Champions were decided as Legends and Bandolero racers took advantage of an extra opportunity to earn national points on Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway in the season finale of the seven-race Winter Flurry racing series in addition to an off-season event at the track’s ¼-mile “Thunder Ring.
”Scott Moseley led the field to the green flag to start the combined Masters and Pro division feature in the Winter Flurry portion of the action. He was overtaken on the eighth lap by William Plemons III, who made the move on the inside entering turn three. Plemons’ lead was short-lived, as he spun on the backstretch two laps later and collected the car of Michael Sauer. Both cars were unable to continue. Moseley inherited the lead, pacing the field through the final 10 circuits to capture the win. Ed Clark finished second, claiming the series title in the Masters division.
Riley Thornton started the Semi-Pro feature from the pole position. Thornton and second-place running Jay Coen raced out to a sizeable advantage ahead of the field. Thornton claimed to win while also wrapping up the series title in the Semi-Pro division. Coen finished second in the feature ahead of Taylor Jorgensen.
The Bandits feature began with Zach Leonhardi at the point. Chandler Smith moved into the lead on the first lap. A caution bunched up the field, and Leonhardi took advantage and retook the lead prior to a caution at the race’s halfway point. Smith rallied back. Following a restart with six laps remaining, he moved into the lead with four circuits to go. Leonhardi and Smith battled side-by-side on the final lap. Smith and Leonhardi made contact with one another to bring out the caution and Smith started third on the final-lap restart. Leonhardi led the rest of the way for the win and Smith wrapped up the Winter Flurry title in the Bandits division.
Kason Plott led the Young Lions feature to the green flag. He held the top spot flag-to-flag for the win with Madeline Crane finishing second ahead of Woodrow Mullis. Crane’s finish clinched the Winter Flurry title in the Young Lions division.
Ashton Winger entered the Outlaws feature leading the division points standings by just three points ahead of Jensen Jorgensen. Winger used the advantage of starting at the pole position to lead before Jorgensen moved into second place by the seventh lap. A caution bunched up the field with four laps to go, setting the stage for a late-race restart with a title on the line. Jorgensen made a pass for the lead with three laps to go to force a tie atop the points standings, but Winger won the points tiebreaker by virtue of having more victories than Jorgensen.
Maness led the way to start the Masters off-season race, but Ed Clark quickly moved into the lead and was the class of the field, leading all 15 laps of the feature.
The Bandits feature began with Abigail Marin at the point, but Smith moved into the lead on the opening lap with Leonhardi in second. A restart bunched up the field on the lap 10. Giving Leonhardi a shot at making a pass for the lead. Leonhardi took advantage, making an inside pass with four laps to go before Smith retook the lead and held off Leonhardi for the victory.
LJ Klemons was the leader to begin the Semi-Pro feature before relinquishing the lead three laps into the race as Riley Thornton and Jay Coen moved to the front of the field with Thornton at the top spot. Thornton led the remainder of the way, holding on through a green-white-checkered finish to capture the win with Coen finishing second and Amber Fleeman in third.
Kason Plott led the way to begin the Young Lions feature, leading the entire race as he held off a hard-charging Woodrow Mullis to claim the win.
Jenson Jorgensen paced the Outlaws feature to the green flag and took advantage of the good track position, leading the entire 15-lap feature with Ashton Winger finishing second and Joshua Hicks in third.
Short-track racing returns to Atlanta Motor Speedway on Saturday, April 27 for another round of off-season Legends and Bandolero Racing. The event will follow the Atlanta Motor Speedway Drive The Track Day, which is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
A limited number of infield passes will be available at the Security Command building near the speedway’s main entrance. Infield access costs just $12 for adults, $5 for children ages six through 11 and admission is free for children ages five and younger. Cost to race is just $25. Minors and their guardians are required to complete a minor waiver before children ages 17 and younger can enter the infield. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia Director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
April 5 Winter Flurry Race Results:
1. Kason Plott (Marietta), 2. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 3. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken). 4. Dylan Murry (Cumming), 5. Megan Younginer (Stockbridge), 6. Blake Gaither (Nashville).
1. Zach Leonhardi (Smyrna), 2. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 3. Abigail Marin (Peachtree City), 4. Nathan Jackson (McDonough), 5. Tristan Meredith (Locust Grove). 6. Ryan Howell (McDonough), 7. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge
Masters & Pro
1. Scott Moseley (McDonough), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 3. Mark Swan (Dunwoody), 4. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta), 5. Don Maness (Duluth) 6. Martin Snyder (Acworth), 7. William Plemons III (Locust Grove)*, 8. Michael Sauer (Atlanta).
*Pro Division Driver
1. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 2. Jay Coen (Dacula), 3. Taylor Jorgenson (Stockbridge), 4. LJ Klemons (Griffin), 5. Billy Stevenson (Locust Grove), 6. R.S. Senter (Oakwood), 7. Chris Payne (Smyrna), 8. Aaron Bailey (Hull), 9. Jeff Holden (Gainesville), 10. Amber Fleeman (Dacula), 11. Jason Lynn (Sugar Hill), 12. Hub Talbot (Smyrna).
1. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 2. Ashton Winger (Fayetteville), 3. Alton Clark (Newnan), 4. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 5. Chase Purdy (Gallion, Ala.), 6. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 7. Eli Bailey (Johns Creek), 8. Miranda Meredith.
Off-Season Race Results:
1. Kason Plott (Marietta), 2. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken). 3. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 4. Dylan Murry (Cumming), 5. Blake Gaither (Nashville).
1. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 2. Zach Leonhardi (Smyrna), 3. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge), 4. Abigail Marin (Peachtree City), 5. Ryan Howell (McDonough.
1. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 2. Scott Mosley (McDonough), 3. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta), 4. Don Maness (Duluth) 5. Martin Snyder (Acworth)
1. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 2. Jay Coen (Dacula), 3. Amber Fleeman (Dacula), 4. Hub Talbot (Smyrna). 5. R.S. Senter (Oakwood), 6. Taylor Jorgenson (Stockbridge), 7. Jeff Holden (Gainesville), 8. Aaron Bailey (Hull), 9. Chris Payne (Smyrna), 10. LJ Klemons (Griffin).
1. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 2. Ashton Winger (Fayetteville), 3. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 4. Alton Clark (Newnan), 5. Eli Bailey (Johns Creek), 6. Chase Purdy (Gallion, Ala.).