Legends racers had one final opportunity to prep at Atlanta Motor Speedway's for the Speedway's summer short-track racing series, Thursday Thunder, on Friday during the spring's final off-season Legends event.
Justin Swilling held the lead position to start the combined classes of Pros and Masters and quickly jumped ahead of the pack with Jimmy Henderson trailing. Using lap traffic to his advantage, Swilling pushed further ahead by the race's midpoint and cruised on to victory, leaving Henderson to finish second in his wake.
Joey Padgett led the combined classes of Bandits and Outlaws to the start, but Alex Coffey quickly shot to the lead on the first lap. With Padgett and Madeline Crane fighting for second, Coffey soon built a noteworthy lead but an early caution forced the field back together. Padgett and Crane jockeyed for position on the restart, but Padgett emerged with the lead and carried the position to the victory.
Luke Behnke led the Semi-Pros and Young Lions to the green flag for the start of their combined-feature race. With Behnke in front, Sean Rayhall made swift work of second and third place to quickly close on the leader. Exiting Turn Four on the fourth lap, Rayhall darted to Behnke's inside to take the lead. Following a caution and restart on lap 14, Rayhall and Behnke resumed their positions and battle, but Rayhall's car dropped a spring and he dropped from the race, resulting in a caution and handing the lead to Behnke. However, Behnke would be immediately pressured after the restart by Mason Massey who used a series of soft nudges to pass Behnke late and claim the win.
Legends racing returns to Atlanta's "Thunder Ring" on Thursday, June 3 for the opening date of the 2010 Thursday Thunder summer racing series. Adult tickets are $5 and children ages six to 11 are just $1, while ages five and under are admitted free of charge.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Peter Horne III at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com. For more information on Atlanta Motor Speedway events, including the upcoming Thursday Thunder series of summer Legends racing, visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
April 16 Legends Results:
1. Larry Friddle (Greenville, S.C.), 2. Don Chandler (Macon), 3. John Ponzio (Tyrone), 4.James Meredith (Locust Grove), 5. Mike Kennedy, DNS. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), DNS. Rick Geddes (Newnan).
1. Justin Swilling (Cohutta), 2. Jimmie Henderson (Conyers), 3. Tina Johnson (Senoia).
1. Alex Coffey (McDonough), 2. Reed Hatchet (Knoxville, Tenn.), 3. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 4. Stephen Johns, Jr., 5. John Curtis (Columbus), 6. Abigall Marin (Peachtree Story), DNS. Zachary Leonhardi (Smyrna).
Outlaws: 1. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 2. Joey Padgett (Tallahassee, Fla.).
1. Kyle Kitchens (Hampton), 2. Amber Colvin (Tallahassee, Fla.), 3. Mike Weed (Franklin), 4. Bill Stevenson (McDonough), 5. Mark Younginer (Jonesboro), 6. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City), 7. Luke Behnke (Fayetteville), 8. RS Senter (Oakwood).
1. Mason Massey (Winston), 2. Anderson Bowen (Suwanee), 3. Cameron Hadley (Concord), 4. Sean Rayhall (Winston).