The 2010-11 Winter Flurry season of Legends and Bandolero racing opened on the Atlanta Motor Speedway Infield road course with a 2010 Thursday Thunder champion claiming the first Legends win of the Winter season.
Donald McIntosh, the 2010 Thursday Thunder Pro class champion, led every lap of the Legends road course feature race after taking the advantage on the first circuit.
Taylor Hull, who began the Legends feature race with the advantage after several drivers were late to the grid, appeared to start strong, but McIntosh needed just a half a lap to jump to the lead on the backstretch. While McIntosh was roaring ahead of the field in the opening laps, five-time Thursday Thunder champion Doug Stevens began slicing his way towards the front before two mid-race cautions regrouped the field with McIntosh leading, Austin Hill in second, Stevens sitting third and Hull in fourth.
Only moments after the second restart, Stevens moved wide to pass Hill entering a turn, but lost control of his vehicle and careened into a group of water barrels, ending the Legends legend’s day.
After the third restart, Thursday Thunder’s 2010 Young Lions champion, Sean Rayhall, quickly passed a group of vehicles on the backstretch to trail just the leader, McIntosh, and Hill. Rayhall jumped Hill with just two laps remaining, but found himself unable to close on McIntosh, who claimed the checkered flag to win the first Wintery Flurry Legends feature race of the 2010-11 season.
The Legends A heat race began with Stevens holding the advantage, but Casey Roderick would quickly take the advantage in the race’s opening turns. Lap-by-lap, Roderick and Stevens jockeyed for position, with Stevens eventually pulling away before a caution tightened the field. Stevens retained his lead on the restart before Roderick challenged once again entering the backstretch, but the veteran held his position through the checkered flag to win the heat race.
The finish order in the Legends A heat race set the order for the inside line in the Legends feature event.
McIntosh sat on the pole to start the Legends B feature. Trailed by Rayhall, McIntosh maintained a lead over his challenger as the duo pulled away from the pack before a pair of mid-race cautions bunched the competitors for the restart. Taking to the outside, McIntosh maintained his position on the restart with Rayhall again trailing. As Rayhall was unable to make a pass in the final laps, McIntosh claimed the victory in the Legends B heat race.
The finish order in the Legends B heat race set the order for the outside line in the Legends feature event.
John Cutis paced the field to the green flag to start the Bandits feature race, but relented the lead to Woodrow Mullis entering Turn 1 when slowed by congestion in the chicane. Although Mullis appeared superior immediately after surging to the front, Jenson Jorgensen closed to within one car length before spinning in the Turn 1 chicane and drawing a full-course caution. After a pair of restarts, Mullis was able to retain his lead and cruised to the Bandits feature win.
Including Mullis, the top-four finishers – Mullis, Jensen Jorgensen, Joshua Hicks and John Curtis – from the Bandits feature earned a transfer to the Outlaws feature race.
Sitting on the pole position to start the Outlaws road course feature, Parker Barnes emerged from the s-curves on the first lap with a lengthy lead, but three-consecutive cautions would regroup the field. However, Barnes again shot ahead of the pack on the restart and would cruise to the victory unchallenged.
Trailing behind Barnes, top-Bandits finishers Mullis and Jorgensen would drag race to the finish for second place, with Jorgensen edging Mullis to the line.
Winter Flurry action returns to Atlanta Motor Speedway on Dec. 11 for the second and final road-course event of the 2010-2011 Winter Flurry season. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
11/6/10 Winter Flurry Results:
1. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 2. Jensen Jorgensen, 3. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 4. John Curtis (Opelika, Ala.), 5. Devon Barnes (Roswell), 6. Zach Leonhardi (Smyrna), 7. Alton Clark (Newnan), 8. Austin Geer (Johns Creek), 9. Major Younginer (Stockbridge).
1. Parker Barnes (Roswell), 2. Jensen Jorgensen, 3. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 4. Taylor Jorgensen (HOMETOWN), 5. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 6. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 7. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 8. Joey Padgett (Tallahassee, Fla.), 9. John Curtis (Opelika, Ala.), 10. Alex Coffey (McDonough), 11. Joe Wilder (Marietta), 12. Jami Wiemer (Cumming), 13. Christian Thom (Peachtree City).
Legends A Heat Race:
1. Doug Stevens (Griffin), 2. Casey Roderick (Dawsonville), 3. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 4. Taylor Hull (Winston), 5. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 6. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City), 7. Rick Geddes (Newnan), 8. Mike Conrad, 9. Charles Rayhall (Winston), 10. Mark Younginer (Stockbridge), 11. Billy Stephens.
Legends B Heat Race:
1. Donald McIntosh (Dawsonville), 2. Sean Rayhall (Winston), 3. Jimmy Henderson (Conyers), 4. Mike Weed (Franklin), 5. Cory Parham, 6. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 7. Chris Holcomb (Alpharetta), 8. John Ponzio (Fayetteville), 9. Bubba Harry (Griffin), 10. Austin Hill (Douglasville), 11. Evan Bell (Buford), 12. Charlie Gresham.
1. Donald McIntosh (Dawsonville), 2. Sean Rayhall (Winston), 3. Austin Hill (Douglasville), 4. Taylor Hull (Winston), 5. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 6. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City), 7. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 8. Bubba Harry (Griffin), 9. Mike Weed (Franklin), 10. Jimmy Henderson (Conyers), 11. Evan Bell (Buford), 12. Mike Conrad, 13. Rick Geddes (Newnan), 14. Chris Holcomb (Alpharetta), 15. Mark Younginer (Stockbridge), 16. Mike Younginer (Stockbridge), 17. Charles Rayhall (Winston), 18. Doug Stevens (Griffin), 19. Charlie Gresham, 20. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 21. Cory Parham, 22. John Ponzio (Fayetteville), 23. Casey Roderick (Dawsonville).