Atlanta Motor Speedway's second Winter Flurry event of the 2010-11 season featured razor-thin finishes in a pair of Bandolero events, in addition to Donald McIntosh claiming his second-consecutive road course win to start the season.
Both John Curtis and Parker Barnes won Bandolero races by margins of just inches in the Bandits and Outlaw features respectively, with Barnes being turned hard into the frontstretch wall as he crossed the finish line. Meanwhile, McIntosh had to hold off a hard-charging Sean Rayhall in the final turn of the Legends feature to claim his second-straight win.
Rayhall held the pole position to start the Legends feature event. Battling in the first lap, McIntosh jumped ahead momentarily, but Rayhall pushed to the front moments later to lead the lap. While Rayhall, McIntosh and Austin Hill surged ahead of the field, McIntosh moved inside of the leader on the third lap to retake the advantage. Closing on McIntosh in the final moments, Rayhall attempted a last-ditch pass for the lead, but a collision with McIntosh's rear bumper sent Rayhall sliding to the outside. McIntosh and Hill would finish first and second before Rayhall recovered and crossed the finish line in third.
Rayhall paced the field to the green flag to begin the Legends A heat race and held the advantage until McIntosh moved to the inside during the lap's final corner to claim the lead. But Rayhall would return the exact favor in the same turn one lap later to reclaim the lead position. Rayhall and McIntosh battled through the final laps, but Rayhall held his advantage to take the win and pole position for the Legends feature event.
The finish order in the Legends A heat race set the order for the inside line in the Legends feature event.
The Legends B heat race began with Austin Hill in the lead. Hill and Taylor Hull immediately shot ahead of the pack after the start, but Hull was unable to catch Hill, who claimed the heat race win and outside pole position for the Legends feature event.
The finish order in the Legends B heat race set the order for the outside line in the Legends feature event.
John Curtis held the pole position to start the Bandits feature, but relinquished the lead to Jenson Jorgensen after spinning off track in the S-curves on the first lap. With a speedy recovery, Curtis settled into the fifth position as Jorgenson and Woodrow Mullis battled for the lead position. The multi-lap tussle for the lead allowed Curtis to push back to the front and overtake Mullis for second. Battling into the final three turns of the feature, contact between Curtis and Jorgensen allowed Curtis to take the inside line and push a nose ahead to win the Bandits feature.
Including Curtis, the top-four finishers – Curtis, Jorgenson, Joshua Hicks and Woodrow Mullis– in the Bandits feature earned a transfer to the Outlaws feature race.
Joey Padgett held the advantage to begin the Outlaws feature event, but Parker Barnes immediately overtook Padgett at the start. After inching back towards the front, Padgett appeared poised to reclaim the advantage, but slid after challenging in the corner and allowed Barnes to increase his lead. With Padgett again closing on Barnes in the final corner, the two made repeated contact in the final stretch, but Barnes prevailed to cross the finish first to claim the win before careening into the wall.
Despite battling to the checkered flag with Barnes and finishing second, Padgett was disqualified after post-race technical inspections for racing without a front splitter.
Winter Flurry action returns to Atlanta Motor Speedway on Jan. 15 for the third event of the 2010-2011 Winter Flurry season and the first short-track race on the Speedway's "Thunder Ring" of the season. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visitwww.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
12/11/10 Winter Flurry Results:
1. John Curtis (Opelika, Ala.), 2. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 3. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 4. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 5. Devon Barnes (Roswell), 6. Zach Leonhardi (Smyrna), 7. Alton Clark (Newnan), 8. Austin Geer (Johns Creek).
1. Parker Barnes (Roswell), 2. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 3. Alex Coffey (McDonough), 4. John Curtis (Opelika, Ala.), 5. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 6. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 7. Joe Wilder (Marietta), 8. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 9. Christian Thom (Peachtree City), 10. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge), DQ. Joey Padgett (Tallahassee, Fla.).
1. Donald McIntosh (Dawsonville), 2. Austin Hill (Douglasville), 3. Sean Rayhall (Winston), 4. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 5. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City), 6. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 7. Mike Weed (Franklin), 8. Rick Geddes (Newnan), 9. Chris Holcomb (Alpharetta), 10. John Ponzio (Fayetteville), 11. Mike Conrad, 12. Taylor Hull (Winston), 13. Mark Swan (Athens), 14. Stuart Wilkerson (Midland), 15. Mike Younginer (Stockbridge), 16. Evan Bell (Buford).
Legends A Heat Race:
1. Sean Rayhall (Winston), 2. Donald McIntosh (Dawsonville), 3. Jeff Haynie (Zebulon), 4. Mike Weed (Franklin), 5. Evan Bell (Buford), 6. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 7. Mike Conrad (Cumming), 8. John Ponzio (Fayetteville), 9. Chris Holcomb (Alpharetta).
Legends B Heat Race:
1. Austin Hill (Douglasville), 2. Taylor Hull (Winston), 3. Garrett Smithley (Peachtree City), 4. Stuart Wilkerson (Midland), 5. Rick Geddes (Newnan), 6. Charles Rayhall (Winston), 7. Mike Younginer (Stockbridge), 8. Mark Swan (Athens), 9. Terry Mathis (Cumming).