The winningest driver in Thursday Thunder history added to his impressive resume in the final race of the season as Skip Nichols of Albany drove away with the Estes Services Masters Division championship. The win helped Nichols capture his seventh career Masters Division title at Thursday Thunder in what he has said would be his last career race.
"Wow, this is hard as my last race," said Nichols. "My racing career has been a marvelous thing for me and my family over the 50-something years I've been racing and to end my career at Atlanta Motor Speedway with all these track officials and especially these fans who are out here to watch us race and have fun. I have enjoyed it and it has been the thrill of my life."
Nichols began the feature race with a seven point advantage on McDonough's Scott Moseley after he posted the top qualifying time in the division to start from the pole. An early lead from the start, Nichols remained at the top until a spin by McDonough's Robbie Woodall in turn two on lap 16 brought out a caution. On the restart, Moseley got side by side with Nichols on the backstretch and momentarily slipped into first. Moseley's lead lasted less than half a lap before Nichols regained the top spot in turn four. Nobody would challenge Nichols over the final three laps as he raced to victory lane.
Woodrow Mullis of Hoboken led from flag-to-flag in the Young Lions feature to capture the win and win his first career season points championship. In his best season at Thursday Thunder, Mullis won nine of 10 feature races this year. Zach Leonhardi finished second in the final feature race of the season as well as in the points race.
Will Martin of Douglasville paced the Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro feature race to the green flag. A caution on lap five bunched the field up, but Martin was able to drive away from the pack on the restart. A second caution on lap nine did not slow down Martin as he drove to the checkered flag. R.S. Senter climbed through the field to finish second in the feature race. He earned the season points championship in the Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro Division, his first division title at Thursday Thunder.
Jensen Jorgensen of Stockbridge earned his first career Thursday Thunder points championship with a feature race win in the 15th Street Pizza and Pub Outlaws division. Jorgensen was at the head of the field for the start of the feature race. Despite a handful of cautions, Chase Purdy of Gallion, AL and Joshua Hicks of Senoia and could not chase down Jorgensen throughout the feature.
Chandler Smith of Talking Rock dominated the bandits division at Thursday Thunder as he captured his third consecutive season points championship on the Quarter-Mile "Thunder Ring". Smith tied Joey Logano's record for most consecutive wins in a single season with eight victories to open the year.
The final bandits feature race of the season began with Smith at the point. A late race caution bunched up the field. On the restart with six laps to go and Smith in the lead, Connor Younginer of Stockbridge began to pressure the leader. The pair battled door-to-door over the final two laps which included numerous lead changes. Younginer edged out Smith by inches at the stripe for his first feature win of the season.
In the final feature race of the season for the beginner bandoleros, Blaise Maddox captured the checkered flag. Wilder Etheredge finished second while Gauntt Hudgins was third.
W.J. Plemons III Associated Group Insurance, Inc. Pro feature saw Williams Plemons Jr. capture the checkered flag. Plemons Jr. started on the pole and was challenged by Paul Kelly, Taylor Jorgensen and William Plemons III throughout the race. Plemons III tightened the gap with Plemons Jr. late in the race, but could not any higher than second.
Feature Race Ten Results
Estes Services Masters
1. Skip Nichols (Albany), 2. Scott Moseley (McDonough), 3. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 4. Mark Swan (Dunwoody), 5. Bill Plemons Jr. (Locust Grove), 6. Robbie Woodall (McDonough), 7. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta), 8. Tony Armbruster (Covington), 9. Martin Snyder (Kennesaw), 10. James Meredith (Locust Grove)
1. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 2. Zach Leonhardi (Cartersville), 3. Dylan Murry (Cumming), 4. Christopher Clanton (Brooks), 5. Blake Gaither (Nashville)
Allred Family Dentistry Semi Pro
1. William Martin (Douglasville), 2. R.S. Senter (Oakwood), 3. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 4. Aaron Bailey (Burlington, NC), 5. CJ Pucko (Covington), 6. Brandon Brock (Hampton), 7. Miranda Meredith (Locust Grove)
15th Street Pizza & Pub Outlaws
1. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 2. Chase Purdy (Gallion, AL), 3. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 4. Kamera McDonald (Keller, TX), 5. Lexi Gay (Canton), 6. Hayden Swank (Woodstock), 7. Jonathan Cook (Sunny Side)
1. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge), 2. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 3. Lawson Ingold (Social Circle), 4. Clay Thompson (Powersville), 5. Ryan Howell (McDonough), 6. Austin Geer (Johns Creek), 7. Nathan Jackson (McDonough)
1. Blaise Maddox (Locust Grove), 2. Wilder Etheredge (Albany), 3. Gauntt Hudgins (Savannah), 4. Dawson O'Conner (Stockbridge), 5. Dakota Bradley (Wintervile), 6. Samuel Oliver (The Rock), 7. Trey Tadrzak (Stockbridge)
W.J. Plemons III Associated Group Insurance, Inc. Pro
1. Bill Plemons Jr. (Locust Grove), 2. William Plemons III (Locust Grove), 3. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 4. Zach Leonhardi (Cartersville), 5. Paul Kelly (Pendergrass)
For more information on Thursday Thunder, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.