On May 12, Legends and Bandolero racers got one final chance to compete and dial in their cars before points start being tallied for the 15th season of Thursday Thunder, which kicks off on June 7.The combined Pro and Masters feature got under with Mason Massey in the lead. On the first lap, Sean Rayhall shot to the front. Mike Kennedy brought out the caution on lap 13, tightening up the field. No one was able to challenge Rayhall as he led every lap to collect the win.
Chandler Smith was the pole sitter for the Racing Radios Bandits feature. On lap nine, Zach Leonhardi muscled his way past Smith, however one lap later in turn two, Leonhardi got loose and spun, sending him to the rear for the restart. Smith restarted out front and led the remaining circuits to post the victory.
The Shane’s Rib Shack Young Lions feature kicked off with Riley Thornton out front. Madeline Crane made the pass for the top spot on lap six while Thornton stayed glued to Crane’s bumper. When Crane got her tire in the mud in the middle of turns three and four, she spun and collected Thornton. Alex Coffey inherited the lead for the restart. Will Fagan made his bid for the lead on lap nine and never looked back, seizing the win.
Taylor Jorgensen paced the field to the green flag for the Outlaws feature. Taylor pulled away from the field while the remaining cars diced it out behind her for position. She took advantage of the big lead and led every lap to score the victory.
The Semi-Pro feature started with William Plemons III as the leader. Plemons showed his muscle by being the leader for every circuit and capturing the win.
Short-track racing returns to Atlanta Motor Speedway on Thursday, June 7 with the opening night of the 15th season of Thursday Thunder. Tickets for the affordable, family-friendly racing series costs just $6 for adults, $2 for children ages six through 11 and is free for children ages five and younger. Gates open at 6 p.m., heat races start at 6:15 p.m. and feature races start at approximately 7:50 p.m. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
For more information on Buzz Cars racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Events Department at (770) 946-3954.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
1. Sean Rayhall (Winston), 2. Mason Massey (Douglasville).
1. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 2. Terry Mathis (Cumming), 3. Chris Bowie (Douglasville), 4. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta).
Racing Radios Bandits:
1. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 2. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 3. Reid Morris (Carrollton), 4. Zach Leonhardi (Smyrna), 5. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge), 6. Abigail Marin (Peachtree City).
Shane’s Rib Shack Young Lions:
1. Will Fagan (Cumming), 2. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 3. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 4. Madeline Crane (Meansville), 5. Trevin Aswarnauth (Loganville), 6. Noah Cornman (Groveland, Fla.), 7. Lyndon Harvey (Decatur, Texas), DQ - Alex Coffey (McDonough).
1. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 2. Chase Purdy (Gallion, Ala.), 3. Jenson Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 4. Alton Clark (Newnan), 5. Eli Bailey (Johns Creek).
1. William Plemons III (Forsyth), 2. Hub Talbot (Smyrna), 3. C.J. Pucko (Covington), 4. Aaron Bailey (Hull), 5. Jason Lynn (Buford).
1. Buddy Brewer (Griffin), Doug Frazier.