With no points on the line, the Atlanta Motor Speedway hosted an off-season race leading up to the opening of the 2011-12 Winter Flurry season, beginning Nov. 12.
The Buzz Car feature got underway with Timmy Bishop in the lead. Bishop led wire-to-wire to win the event.
The combined Morley Company Outlaws and Papa John's Bandits feature started with Taylor Jorgensen as the leader. On a lap 12 restart, Joshua Hicks maneuvered past to take the lead. But the next lap, Jorgenson muscled back past to regain the point. On lap 16, Jorgenson and Hicks collided while racing for the lead, also collecting Christopher Clanton and Devon Barnes. The race restarted with Chandler Smith leading the field. Smith led the rest of the way to claim the win in his Papa John's Bandits car.
Evan Bell began the Young Lions feature out front. With two laps to go, Riley Thornton spun out, leading to a green-white-checkered finish. On the restart, Bell escaped cleanly, taking the checkered flag.
The Semi-Pro feature began with Justin Thomas on the pole. On lap 16, Emilee Riley spun to bring out the caution. On the restart, Thomas held off a hard charging Luke Behnke to earn the victory.
Mike Kennedy was the pole sitter for the combined Masters and Pro feature. Terry Mathis powered past to grab the lead on the first circuit. On lap 16, Taylor Hull eased his Pro machine past Mathis to move into first. The only Pro driver in the field, Hull defeated the Masters racers for the win.
Short-track racing returns to Atlanta Motor Speedway on Saturday, Nov. 12 for week number one of the seven-week Winter Flurry season. A limited number of infield passes will be available at the Security Command building near the speedway's main entrance. Infield access costs just $12 for adults, $5 for children ages six through 11 and admission is free for children ages five and younger. Cost to race is just $25. Minors and their guardians are required to complete a minor waiver before children ages 17 and younger can enter the infield. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
For more information on Buzz Cars racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Events Department at (770) 946-3954.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
1. Timmy Bishop (Jonesboro), 2. Buddy Brewer (Griffin), 3.Dustin Satterfield (Griffin)
Morley Company Outlaws and Papa John's Bandits:
1. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 2. Madeline Crane* (Meansville), 3. Taylor Jorgensen* (Stockbridge), 4. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 5. Devon Barnes (Roswell), 6. Christopher Clanton* (Brooks), 7. Reid Morris (Carrollton), 8. Jenson Jorgensen* (Stockbridge), 9. Chambers McGilberry (Selma, Ala.), 10. Abigail Marin (Peachtree City), 11. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge)
*denotes Morley Company Outlaws driver
1. Evan Bell (Buford), 2. Will Fagan (Cumming), 3. Alex Coffey (McDonough), 4. Austin Cindric (Mooresville, N.C.), 5. Trevin Aswarnauth (Loganville), 6. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 7. Parker Barnes (Alpharetta), 8. Andy Hogan (Decatur, Texas)
1. Justin Thomas (Woodstock), 2. Luke Behnke (Fayetteville), 3. Casey Willingham (Ball Ground), 4. Taylor Griffith (Homer), 5. Cory Parham, 6. Emilee Riley (Jasper), 7. Hub Talbot (Smyrna)
Masters and Pro:
1. Taylor Hull* (Winston), 2. Terry Mathis (Cumming), 3. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta), 4. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 5. Mark Swan (Atlanta), 6. Don Chandler (Macon), 7. Chris Bowie (Hampton), 8. John Ponzio (Tyrone)
*denotes Pro driver