Results From Week Five of Atlanta Motor Speedway's Thursday Thunder
Division championships have started to come into focus while front runners have begun to percolate to the top of the standing at the midpoint of the 2014 Thursday Thunder season on the quarter-mile "Thunder Ring" at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Scott Moseley of McDonough rode to a feature win in the Estes Services Masters Division. Moseley started from the sixth position and used a late race caution to move to the front of the field.
"For a minute there I really didn't know what to expect with cars going everywhere," said the race winner Moseley about the late race caution. "Earlier in the season I was on the bad end of that, so at least tonight I'm glad to get a little payback and get a couple of breaks because I've had a really good car."
The caution was brought out when the leader at that time, Bill Plemons Jr. of Locust Grove, got tangled in turn one with Skip Nichols of Albany and both competitors got pushed to the rear of the field on the restart. Tina Johnson of Senoia finished second.
Chandler Smith of Talking Rock continued his Thursday Thunder dominance with another feature win and extended his lead in the Bandits division. Smith patiently wove his way through the field and on to victory lane after he started back in the 13th position. Smith needed just three laps to move to the lead where he held off a hard charging Connor Younginer of Stockbridge over the reminder of the race.
The Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro feature saw R.S. Senter of Oakwood race to his fifth consecutive feature win of the season. It was Taylor Jorgensen of Stockbridge who jumped out to the lead from the pole at the drop of the green flag. Senter, though, took the lead away on lap 10 when he slid to the inside of Jorgensen in turn four. Senter brought along William Martin of Douglasville, who also used the opening to move up to second. Senter then held off the charge from Martin as well as Jorgensen over the final 10 laps to capture the win.
Starting back in the sixth position did not prevent Woodrow Mullis from driving to the front of the field for the feature win in the Young Lions Division. Zach Leonhardi of Cartersville held off a hard-charging Mullis for the first nine laps of the race. Leonhardi could not hold the lead as he bobbled out of turn four. Mullis took advantage of the opening as he slid to the inside of Leonhardi and held off the field for the win.
Blaise Maddox of Locust Grove earned the win in the Beginner Bandolero feature race. Hayden Swank of Woodstock finished second while Trey Tadrzak of Stockbridge earned third.
The 15th Street Pizza and Pub Outlaws Division saw Jensen Jorgensen earn his fourth consecutive feature win of the season. Jorgensen drove to the inside of turn four and got underneath Chase Purdy of Gallion, AL on lap 14 to take a lead he would not relinquish. Jorgensen held on for the win as he kept Purdy along with Ashton Winger of Fayetteville in his rear-view mirror. After starting fourth, Jorgensen patiently took his time over the first 14 laps of the feature race as he worked his way through the field to the front of the pack.
In the W.J. Plemons III Associates Group Insurance Inc., Pro Division feature, William Plemons III earned the win with Mullis a car length back at the checkered flag. Plemons started from the pole to capture the victory as Mullis moved through the field to finish second while Leonhardi finished third.
Competitors will have another opportunity to earn points at the "Thunder Ring" as the sixth feature race of Thursday Thunder on the quarter-mile track at Atlanta Motor Speedway is on June 26.
Feature Race 5 Results:
1. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 2. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge), 3. DJ Canipe (Fallston, NC), 4. Timothy Tyrrell (Manass, VA), 5. Joshua Kossek (Winston, NC), 6. Ryan Howell (McDonough), 7. Ryleigh Lemonds (Yorktown, VA), 8. Nathan Jackson (McDonough), 9. Clay Thompson (Powersville), 10. Lawson Ingold (Social Circle), 11. Austin Geer (Johns Creek), 12. Eddie Falscher (North Port, NY), 13. Isabella Robusto (Fort Mill, SC), 14. Will Robusto (Fort Mill, SC), 15. Raleigh Lambert (Graham, NC)
1. Blaise Maddox (Locust Grove), 2. Hayden Swank (Woodstock), 3. Trey Tadrzak (Stockbridge), 4. Gauntt Hudgens (Savannah, SC), 5. Dawson O'Conner (Stockbridge), 6. George Hayes (Erie, PA), 7. Wilder Etheredge (Albany), 8. Samuel Oliver (The Rock), 9 .Roy Hayes (Erie, PA),
Estes Services Masters
1. Scott Moseley (McDonough), 2. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 3. Robbie Woodall (McDonough), 4. Don Maness (Duluth), 5. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta), 6. Mark Swan (Dunwoody), 7. Martin Snyder (Kennesaw), 8. Bill Plemons, Jr. (Locust Grove), 9. Skip Nichols (Albany), 10. Tony Armbruster (Covington)
15th Street Pizza and Pub Outlaws
1. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 2. Chase Purdy (Gallion, AL), 3. Ashton Winger (Fayetteville), 4. Matt Mead (Erie, PA), 5. Hannah Bell (Raleigh, NC), 6. Trevor Rizzo (Bluffton, SC), 7. Will McConnell (Dallas), 8. Jonathan Cook (Sunny Side), 9. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 10. Lexi Gay (Canton), 11. Kamera McDonald (Keller, TX)
1. William Plemons III (Locust Grove).¬†
Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro
1. R.S. Senter (Oakwood), 2. William Martin (Douglasville), 3. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 4. Bailey Woodall (McDonough), 5. Aaron Bailey (Burlington, NC), 6. Miranda Meredith (Locust Grove)
1. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 2. Zach Leonhardi (Cartersville), 3. Christian Eckes (Middletown, NY), 4. Dylan Murry (Cumming), 5. Blake Gaither (Nashville), 6. Josef Graf (Mahwah, NJ), 7. Mason Diaz (Manassa, VA), 8. Christopher Clanton (Brooks)
Tickets for the affordable, family-friendly racing series costs just $6 for adults, $2 for children ages 6 through 11 and is free for children ages 5 and younger. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.