Results From Week Two Of Thursday Thunder at Atlanta Motor Speedway
"It was a crazy one," said Christopher Clanton of Brooks after he earned his first win behind the wheel of a Legends car in the Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro/Young Lions Feature in week 2 of Thursday Thunder action at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Clanton used late cautions to choose his way to the front of the field for the win. Mired in the pack midway back on the lead lap, Clanton took advantage of a caution on lap 17. On the ensuing choose, he moved his way to the outside of the front row.
"I started in the back and was just in 5th place riding around hoping to get a caution and sure enough it came out. I went to the outside, and luckily we had [another] caution and I was able to get to the inside."
Once under green, he battled Stockbridge's Jensen Jorgenson for the lead.
"It got slick out there," said Clanton. "Me and Jensen both slipped but I was able to stay in the gas and go into turn 1 and we bumped bumpers but I came out with the win."
Jorgensen, who started on the pole, finished second. Jeff Holden of Gainesville, with a third place finish, moved up two positions to take the lead in the division standing.
Will Robusto of Fort Mill, SC earned his first career Thursday Thunder victory in the Bandits feature race. Although dominated by Clay Thompson of Powersville and DJ Canipe of Fallston, NC over the first 13 laps, a caution brought out by the back of the pack bunched up the field. Thompson took the lead on the restart on lap 14. Robusto slipped to the inside on lap 16 and brought Isabella Robusto, also of Fort Mill, SC in tow behind him as the pair pushed to the lead. The Robusto pair was able to hold off the rest of the field to finish in the top two spots. Canipe and Thompson finished third and fourth respectively.
Ashton Higgins of Weaverville, NC also earned his first Thursday Thunder victory of the season in week two and moved into a tie for the division lead in the Xtreme Fun on Wheels Outlaws Division. Higgins lined up on the outside pole to start the race but moved to the inside pole after Senoia's Joshua Hicks jumped the start and then left the track. Hicks had to start from the rear of the field on the restart. Despite the poor track position, Hicks wove his way through the pack and challenged Higgins for the lead. Short on laps as the white flag waived, Hicks could not get past Higgins and finished second as the pair are deadlocked for the lead in the division point standing.
Side-by-side as they came out of turn four on the final lap, Noah Dominy of Stathum beat Stockbridge's Dawson O'Connor to the line to earn the checkered flag in the beginner bandolero feature. It was Dominy's second consecutive Thursday Thunder victory. O'Connor dominated the feature race early, but a late caution and ensuing restart bottled up the field. Dominy took advantage of the restart and pulled even with O'Connor.
Dunwoody's Mark Swan emerged as the winner of the Masters feature race and is now atop the division point standings. Swan was the recipient of half a dozen cautions over the final five laps that thinned the field and moved him to the front of the pack. Swan held off Mike Kennedy of Alpharetta for his second career Thursday Thunder victory. Swan's first career win was a week 5 victory in the Chargers division in 2008. Tina Johnson of Senoia held on to finish third.
Thursday Thunder continues June 18th, featuring five racing divisions with various skill levels and competition, including Bandolero cars in the Beginner Bandits, Bandits, and Outlaw divisions and Legends cars in the Semi-Pro/Young Lions and Masters/Pro divisions. The summer racing series continues through July 23, as drivers of all ages and skill levels compete in the 18th season of quarter-mile racing at AMS.
Grandstand tickets for the affordable, family-friendly racing series cost just $6 for adults, $2 for kids ages 6 through 11 and is free for children ages 5 and younger.
For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway ticket office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
Week 2 Results
1. Will Robusto (Fort Mil, SC), 2. Isabella Robusto (Fort Mill, SC), 3. DJ Canipe (Fallston), 4. Clay Thompson (Powersville), 5. Blaise Maddox (Locust Grove), 6. Ryan Howell (McDonough), 7. Nathan Jackson (McDonough)
1. Noah Dominy (Stathum), 2. Dawson O'Conner (Stockbridge), 3. Ryan Younginer (Jonesboro), 4. Wilder Etheredge (Albany), 5. Samuel Oliver (The Rock), 6. Cameron Potter (Covington), 7. River Allen (Hirum), 8. Keaton Hendrix (Homerville)
Xtreme Fun on Wheels Outlaws Division
1. Ashton Higgins (Weaverville), 2. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 3. Connor Youniger (Stockbridge), 4. Ricky Springer (McDonough), 5. Hayden Swank (Woodstock), 6. Robby Douglas (Derry, NH), 7. Lawson Ingold (Social Circle), 8. Ganutt Hudgins (Savannah), 9. Trey Tadrzak (Stockbridge), 10. Lexi Gay (Canton)
Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro/Young Lions
1. Christopher Clanton (Brooks), 2. Jeff Holden (Gainesville), 3. Brandon Breock (Hampton), 4. Dylan Murry (Cumming), 5. William Martin (Douglasville), 6. Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 7. Jordan Coker (Hampton), 8. Aaron Bailey (Burlington, NC), 9. Hannah Bell (Raleigh, NC), 10. Amber Fleeman (Dacula), 11. Colt Logan (Athens), 12. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge),
1. Mark Swan (Dunwoody), 2. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta), 3. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 4. Phillip Young (Dallas), 5. Tony Armbruster (Covington), 6. Randy Shubert (Conyers), 7. Dennis Hecht (Hoschton), 8. Scott Moseley (McDonough), 9. Bill Plemons Jr. (Locust Grove), 10. Don Maness (Duluth), 11. Willie Gray (Cartersville), 12. Wes Potter (Covington ) - DNS