Results From Week Three Of Atlanta Motor Speedway's Thursday Thunder
Fan favorites in addition to a first-time winner made their way to victory lane on Thursday during week three of Thursday Thunder at Atlanta Motor Speedway as fans were treated to exciting Legends and Bandolero racing on the quarter-mile "Thunder Ring."
Alton Clark led the Outlaws feature to the green flag. Joshua Hicks and Jensen Jorgensen quickly claimed the top two spots, with Jorgensen claiming the lead position. The caution flag was displayed on the fourth lap, and Jorgensen retained the lead before Hicks took the lead on the 10th lap. A caution flag with a lap remaining in the feature set up a green-white-checkered finish. Hicks held on for his first win of the season.
The Fun Junction Young Lions feature began with William Byron on the pole position. He paced the field for the first nine laps before a spin by Alex Coffey brought out the caution flag. Byron held on to the lead following the restart as Payton Ryan hotly pursued him. Byron held on for his first Thursday Thunder victory. Four different drivers have won feature races in the Fun Junction Young Lions division this season.
William Plemons III paced the combined Pro and Masters feature as it began. Plemons led flag-to-flag for his fourth win in as many races. Scott Moseley finished third and was the top Masters finisher, holding off Ed Clark for the position.
Zach Leonhardi was on the point to start the Bandits feature and held the lead as the caution flag was displayed four laps into the race. Chandler Smith restarted second, staying within close sight of the lead. After a caution on the ninth lap, Leonhardi held onto the advantage until the 12th lap when Smith made an inside pass for the lead entering turn one. Smith led the rest of the way for his third feature victory in four races. Connor Younginer got past Leonhardi to finish second.
Trevin Aswarnauth led the Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro feature as it began. His lead was short-lived as Bret Hardin took the lead on the second lap. Division points leader Riley Thornton took the lead in turn four on the 10th lap and covered the field the rest of the way for the win with Hardin finishing second. Amber Fleeman held off Aswarnauth for third.
In a race featuring the newest drivers at Thursday Thunder, the beginner bandits feature began with Tristan Meredith pacing the field. Meredith led through eight laps before a caution flag and pulled away on the restart. Meredith held off Nathan Jackson by a handful of car-lengths to pick up the win.
In the night's final race, Clay Thompson led the Checkered Flag Challenge in a race among bandolero drivers who have yet to win a feature race at Thursday Thunder. Connor Younginer took the lead on the first lap. Younginer was in the lead when the caution was displayed on the fifth lap due to a multi-car spin in turn two. Younginer pulled away as the race restarted, leading the remaining laps to take home the win.
Short-track racing returns to Atlanta Motor Speedway on Thursday, June 27, Chick-fil-A night at Thursday Thunder. In addition, it'll be summer splash night at with fun activities including a belly flop contest and a water balloon toss.
Tickets for the affordable, family-friendly racing series costs just $6 for adults, $2 for children ages six through 11 and is free for children ages five and younger. Gates open at 6 p.m., heat races start at 6:15 p.m. and feature races start at approximately 7:30 p.m. For more information, contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway Ticket Office at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.
To test drive your own Legends machine, or for more information about Legends racing, call Legends of Georgia Director Dwight Pilgram at (770) 707-2977 or visit www.legendsofga.com.
1. Joshua Hicks (Senoia), 2. Christopher Clanton (Brooks), 3. Ashton Winger (Fayetteville), 4. Chase Purdy (Gallion, Ala.), 5. Alton Clark (Newnan) 6. Jensen Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 7. Miranda Meredith (Locust Grove). 8. Eli Bailey (Johns Creek).
1. Chandler Smith (Talking Rock), 2. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge), 3. Zach Leonhardi (Cartersville), 4. Austin Geer (Johns Creek), 5. Lee Hodges (Lake Park), 6. Will McConnell (Dallas), 7. Trey Compton (Bland, Va.).
8. Lawson Ingold (Social Circle), 9. Clay Thompson (Powersville).
1. William Plemons III (Smyrna), 2. Madeline Crane (Meansville).
1. Scott Moseley (McDonough), 2. Ed Clark (Peachtree City), 3. Skip Nichols (Albany), 4. Tina Johnson (Senoia), 5. Bill Plemons, Jr. (Locust Grove), 6. Mark Swan (Dunwoody), 7. Phillip Young (Dallas), 8. Mike Kennedy (Alpharetta) (substitute driver, Dwight Pilgram) 9. Martin Snyder (Kennesaw).
Allred Family Dentistry Semi-Pro:
1. Riley Thornton (Peachtree City), 2. Bret Hardin (Acworth), 3. Amber Fleeman (Dacula), 4. Trevin Aswarnauth (Loganville), 5.Taylor Jorgensen (Stockbridge), 6. Hub Talbot (Smyrna), 7. Aaron Bailey (Burlington, N.C.).
Fun Junction Young Lions:
1. William Byron (Charlotte, N.C.). 2. Payton Ryan (Jonesville, La.),
3. Woodrow Mullis (Hoboken), 4. Dylan Murry (Cumming), 5. Blake Gaither (Nashville) 6. Alex Coffey (McDonough).
1. Tristan Meredith (Locust Grove) 2. Nathan Jackson (McDonough), 3. Samuel Oliver (The Rock).
Bandolero Checkered Flag Challenge:
1. Connor Younginer (Stockbridge), 2. Lawson Ingold (Social Circle), 9. Clay Thompson (Powersville). 4. Lee Hodges (Lake Park), 5. Trey Compton (Bland, Va.) 6. Miranda Meredith (Locust Grove), 7. Will McConnell (Dallas).