Atlanta Motor Speedway Marketing and Design Intern
Spring 2014 (Jan-May)
Hours Required: 15-20 hours per week
Atlanta Motor Speedway's internship program provides hands-on experience in many different aspects of the marketing and promotion of auto racing events. It is an unpaid internship, and a successful internship will not necessarily translate into permanent employment; however, interns are given at least the same consideration as other candidates when job opportunities arise. These are unpaid positions.
We are looking for enthusiastic, highly motivated students willing to learn on the job. This position is designed so students may observe and learn from different departments and job titles. A positive attitude and an open mind are required.
College Level Student - B.A., B.S. or majoring in mass communications, journalism, communications, marketing, graphics art, public relations or related field.
- Term 1 (January-May): Deadline December 13th
- Term 2 (May-September): April 4th
- Help write race event releases, stats, notes and features
- Staff the media center during race events; help the media with any questions or requests they have
- Help with updating media guides
- Keep clip file up to date
- Help plan all media events
- Help create and send invitations to all media events
- Help make reminder calls to all media prior to media events
- Brainstorm and research for interesting, off-beat notes to be used at race times
- Send out press guides to those requesting general track information
- Help keep press guides current
- Maintain archives of NASCAR Scene, National Speed Sport News, Sports Business Journal and other magazines
- Help organize race weekend releases/stats/etc. into event binder
- Help compile story ideas and bio information for race programs
- Help compile race release ideas
- Aid in creation of advertising, brochures and other collateral materials
- Brainstorm advertising ideas
- Assist in writing Promotional & Trade agreements between AMS and media/promotional partners
- Assist in day-to-day operations. This may involve making phone calls, working with advertising agencies, industry contacts and media partners
- Develop a media buy/promotional recap book that is used to summarize and evaluate advertising expenditures and market promotions after the conclusion of an event
- Plan for a ticket giveaway/interactive game with fans at all pace car appearances
- Help schedule and execute promotions (create and maintain a working spreadsheet of all working promotions)
- Help distribute race event brochures and coupons to local businesses and visitor centers
- Help plan and execute concourse activities for Legends racing (summer)
- Prepare concourse for Legends (set up all banners, signs, play areas, games, etc.) (summer)
- Prepare questionnaire for race event fans to fill out during Legends races (find a hook to get them to fill this questionnaire out)
- Analyze data from questionnaires and prepare report
- Community Outreach. Visit area businesses and create promotional partnerships/relationships to help promote AMS and its events
Additional Skills Preferred:
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign
- Basic design and layout principals
** During events, other duties for interns may include: helping out in the media center, working in credentials, working in the press box, writing pit notes, clipping news articles from newspapers, writing press releases, interviewing drivers, writing stories for the website, etc.
To apply for this internship, please visit www.teamworkonline.com or email Brittany Lofton at (please include resume).