AMS Legends drivers receive awards at annual year-end banquet
A year's worth of accomplishments by racers in Atlanta Motor Speedway's Legends and Bandoleros series were recognized at the Speedway's annual year-end banquet Saturday.
The program honored drivers who made a big impact on the Speedway's quarter-mile Thunder Ring and road course in 2018. Among those recognized were the 2018 Thursday Thunder presented by Papa John's Pizza Division Champions:
• Associates Group Insurance Young Lions: Ryan Rackley
• Semi-Pro: Davis Rochester
• VP Racing Fuels Pro: Cody Hall
• Masters: Robbie Woodall
• GRT Racing Driver Development Outlaws: Blaise Maddox
• Bandits: Kelley Puckett
In addition to the series champions, several other drivers received special awards noting other achievements both on and off the track. Each year these awards recognize drivers that went above and beyond just driving a racecar.
Here are this year's special award winners:
• David Ragan Sportsman of the Year: Trey Tadrzak
• Joey Logano Breakthrough Driver of the Year: Ryan Rackley
• Reed Sorenson Most Popular Driver of the Year: Bailey North
• Most Improved Driver: Kenny Brady
• Legends Rookie of the Year: Blaze Crawford
• Bandoleros Rookie of the Year: Mason Maggio
• Family Award: Ruark Family
• Top Dog of the Year (Best Paint Scheme): Drew Dollar
• President's Award: Bill Plemons Jr.
Drivers who earned awards bearing the name of Thursday Thunder alumni David Ragan, Joey Logano, and Reed Sorenson also received a personal letter from that driver congratulating them for their success.
While Mother Nature didn't put a damper on the banquet's festivities inside the Speedway's Club One, she did wash out a planned double-header of racing action for Saturday. Due to Saturday's cancellations, the next scheduled Legends event at AMS on January 12, 2019, will be a double-feature on the infield road course. More information can be found at www.atlantamotorspeedway.com or www.legendsofga.com.